Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

original steering wheel specs and shipping ideas

mlazinski

Corvette
1975 Silver Coupe
Hi,
My friend and I just purchased a silver 75 deluxe coupe last week (off ebay no less:) ) and were wondering what is the original steering wheel material for the 75. It has a pep boys wrap on it, and underneath looks to be a professional leather wrap. My friend thinks the original steering wheel was actually wood (teak?). We want to know before continuing to unwrap the wheel. Also, anyone have any advice on shipping a car from the midwest to FL, we will be doing it 1-2x a year. I just joined the site, and it looks great!! Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

Sorry I can't help ya out with your steering wheel question,

but Congrats on your new Corvette and Welcome to the :CAC

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

Same here - no help but WELCOME ABOARD!!!

If it is teak, it's valuable. Mine is a leather covered metal one.

Nearly all are 14", some 15".

It's taken several years to find an undersized one for the unusual vette center pattern.

Here is the stock '75 steering wheel:

75ORG9.jpg

000069-200505-000001_3big.jpg

Hard plastic rim with brushed spokes.

tom...

Thanks for the info, Wayne. We thought the same about the teak. How do you know there is not teak under the leather? Does anyone know if the teak was a specific, stand alone option?

Tom points out a third option....

Mine must fall in between.

Unfortunately I know because it has a few "issues"....:L

I can touch in two places a heavy center chrome metal part, surrounded by foam and then a leather layer. I really have no idea if mine's a stock option - very little else on the car is stock.

All the big vendors: MidAmerica, Ecklers, Corvette America, Corvette Central (or Central Corvette - I confuse easily) and many others like Volunteer Vette, Rik's Vette, Year One, Paddock and more have webcatalogs which should list pics of some of the various steering wheels and info to tell which ones were stock, etc.

mlazinski said:
Thanks for the info, Wayne. We thought the same about the teak. How do you know there is not teak under the leather? Does anyone know if the teak was a specific, stand alone option?
Teak and/or leather was not an option in '75. The pics above show the standard and only steering wheel.

Ditto.
Tom73 said:
Teak and/or leather was not an option in '75. The pics above show the standard and only steering wheel.

Congrats on your `75 - - hope the hurricane this weekend has left you and your baby unscathed.

If you have your heart set on an original steering wheel for your 75, I'd be willing to part with the one removed from our `74 - - same OEM as yours. Send me a pm if you're interested - - not certain what it's worth.

Regards-

Thanks for all of the info. I was just curious to what was under all the leather. It must be a reproduction wheel. The car is just a driver, so we will keep the wheel for now. As for the hurricane, my friend and I are both keeping the car 6 mths a year, so it never has a winter, and he has it for now in the midwest. It is killing me!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom