Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

osb board on walls

mytoy

Corvette
1978 L82 BLACK
I built my garage this past summer, instead of drywalling it I insulated it and put osb board on the walls wasn't much more than drywall, I than painted the walls white, really helps with the lighting. The reason I used the osb board was I can hang anything on the walls without trying to hit a stud, so far I am very pleased I went the route I did.

mytoy - what is osb board? I am looking into doing my walls this summer. Sounds interesting,got any pictures by chance?

Dave

Dave,
OSB is oriented strain board.....you can get it at the Home Depot, etc for about 5 - 6 bucks a 4 x 8 sheet. Comes in varying thicknesses and is made from wood chips/pieces, glued and compressed together. Most builders use it on roofs these days instead of expensive plywood.
Not as smooth as sheetrock but alot stronger.....

Dave

Dave, 68 roadster is correct about the osb board, I paid about 5.84 for it, it also makes your garage alot stronger, so far I haven't notice any pitfalls.

If the garage is attatched I do not believe it will pass the building code in most states. I have an attached garage offset from the back of my home
(only 10 feet attached) and was told that I must use 5/8" sheetrock on all surfaces to pass fire code. I will be placing the OSB under the sheetrock on the walls for the reason mrtoy mentioned. A little extra expense, but worth it IMO.
Joe

Let me interject a little, the 5/8 th inch sheetrock is correct. However, its usually only needed where the house is connected to the garage including the attic space. The rest of the walls can be half inch. Also for those of you who are going to put the OSB and the sheetrock up, remember now you will have to buy special door jambs or cut extentions.

I used 3/8 plywood on all my walls for the same reason, building codes, we don't need no stinking building codes. Not sure how they would find out unless you happen to tell the building inspector

I can explain how they find out...If you happen to have a fire in the garage, and it spreads into the main house and distroys it. The insurance company comes in looks at the wall and sees no 5/8 in sheet rock on the walls. They then go to the local inspector to see if he signed off on the sheetrock. If he didn't and you did not follow code, now they have an excuse to not pay your claim. And on top of it, its good protection for your familly. They may need that extra 30 minutes to wake up and get out.

supernatural400 said:
I used 3/8 plywood on all my walls for the same reason, building codes, we don't need no stinking building codes. Not sure how they would find out unless you happen to tell the building inspector

JonM said:
I can explain how they find out...If you happen to have a fire in the garage, and it spreads into the main house and distroys it. The insurance company comes in looks at the wall and sees no 5/8 in sheet rock on the walls. They then go to the local inspector to see if he signed off on the sheetrock. If he didn't and you did not follow code, now they have an excuse to not pay your claim. And on top of it, its good protection for your familly. They may need that extra 30 minutes to wake up and get out.

You simply explain that it was like that when you bought the house, unless you happen to build the garage after you bought it.
Most states as far as I know require no building permit for interior walls unless there load bearing and if you do the work yourself and are not a licensed contrator you do not need it inspected. I just went thru that with some electrical work on my garage. Maybe different since my garage is not attached. Of course in my case I would be more worried about the 5 lbs of gunpower, boxes of primers and a few thousand rounds of ammo going off before the walls went up;) Of course each town is different they set there own building codes

BURGLAR said:
My garage is not connected to the house. Do you think I need a building permit to put up insulation and osb board in my garage? It seems to me another reason for a building permit is to alert the township that they need to raise my property taxes.
http://corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=177071

Dave

it's a town thing, you don't need a permit for insulation, in fact you don't need any if you don't want it

permits

I live in southern Ohio, between Cincinnati and Dayton , I had to have a zoning permit, building permit with three inspection and a electrical permit, when the inspector was here for the inspection I mention that I was putting up osb board and he didn't say a word. I do know in our county you have to have a permit and a inspection to install insulation in a new home but not on a detached garage

Just what I heard. Yesterday. In Cambria and Somerset Counties, at least, in Pa. They, whomever, supposedly went around and documented all asbestos in commercial buildings.
If they come around and ck and some changes have been made and the asbestos is missing they want to know where it is. All removed asb. must be double bagged and marked with your name. If the land where it is disposed of, legally, is changed years down the road the guys name on the bag is responsible for having it properly moved.
The teller is a contractor. Just what he said.

OBS is great for shop walls. I used to help a friend in a shop done that way. A business too, but in rural NE Indiana they don't have no stinkin' building inspectors.

Here in NW Ohio I used drywall in my shop because I wanted a nice finished look with wood trim and the whole thing. All I had to get was a building permit. No electrical (could have even done it myself) or inspections. When I built the house only the health department came out to inspect the septic system. There are advantages in living out in fly over country.

Tom

When I had my heaters installed. I needed to get the gas fittings inspected, but the heating contractor said if I did the electrical myself, not only would I save money but I am not required to get a electrical inspection done since I am the home owner and doing it myself, If he did it being a contractor he would be required to get a permit and have and inspection done

BURGLAR said:
mytoy - what is osb board? I am looking into doing my walls this summer. Sounds interesting,got any pictures by chance?

Dave
Youz guyz can go looky at my bawn at "my solution ...25` clear space". Click on "sheathing" attachment. I also used 3/4" OSB to build my box beams. Keep in mind that one can buy "seconds" of most construction material. I found a place, actually a chain of stores that specializes in seconds and imperfect material. This happens to be near Montreal, it`s a schlepp, but I paid $6(US) per sheet of 3/4" t&g(tongue&groove),that wood:eyerole sell for $10-$11 @Lowes. Disadvantages?, you can usually only find these outlets near big cities, material is not rated(manufacturers specs. are obliterated), and you`ve got to take the next piece off the pile, no selecting the "perfect" piece. I bought a full bundle, 56 sheets, @40lbs. each. I could only load 30 or so as the next sheet would have been at my rear window. 30 X 40lbs.= 1200lbs., I bought new 3/4ton (extra heavyduty) leaf springs right after that! Now I`m going to build an iron rack with a rear window guard so that I can get all 56 in one trip for my next barn.:booty

Don`t forget the vapour barrier. This is 1 mil poly. sheeting on the inside(warm) side of the insulation. It is mandatory to keep bad `ol Jack Frost from sucking the moisture right through the sheathing and (forever) soaking the insulation.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom