Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

(OUTDATED) [New Members] How do I get a picture under my username?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
These small images are called Avatars. They are displayed below your username on all posts that you make. There are two kinds of avatars: those provided by the administrator and those that you upload yourself.

If the administrator has provided a set of avatars, and avatars are enabled, you may select an avatar that best describes your personality.

The administrator may also have enabled custom avatars, which allows you to upload an avatar image from your computer.

For more information on Avatars, click on the UserCP link in the upper left hand corner, and click on Edit Avatar.

EDIT: There is an UPDATED thread for adding an AVATAR with the new Site software. It can be found in the Site Help and Feedback Forum by following this link:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...-how-do-i-post-picture-under-my-username.html

Edited by XLR8 - Jane Ann

Here's a little more info.

To have a custom avatar, you will need a photo that has been resized down to 165 X 165 pixels, and no larger than 43.9 K.

If you file is too large, try this free resizing software.
www.irfanview.com download link: http://www.tucows.com/preview/194967.html

OR- this software by Microsoft- ImageResizer.exe
is even easier to use. Once you install it, all you need to do is right click on an image file and select "Resize Pictures". To get your pictures down to avatar size, you'll need to select the "custom" button.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/...ppowertoys.mspx

Once you have an image that is the right size, you can go into your User CP (link at the top of the screen on the left) and then click on the Edit Avatar link on the left side of the screen. On the Avatars screen, scroll down to the bottom to the "custom avatar" section. Click the radio button for "Use Custom Avatar", and then click the Browse button next to the box that says "Upload an avatar from your computer". Go find the image file that you resized, and then click Save Changes.

UPDATE:

In order to add or change your avatar, you will need to access your User Control Panel.

This can be reached by clicking on the link in the upper left corner of the page, as shown in this photo:

101_UserCP.jpg

Once you click on Edit Avatar it will open a new page where you have several options. You can select one of the avatars provided by the site or if you scroll to the bottom of the page you will see a box in which you can select a Custom Avatar.

103_Custom_Avatar_Selection.gif

If you have an online photo storage account such as Photobucket or Flickr you will select Option 1.

For help in linking to a photo uploaded to your Photobucket account see this thread: Click here

For help in linking to a photo uploaded to your Flickr account see this thread: Click here

Before you insert the URL (address) of your photo, remove the address prompt from the box (see photo). This is a default prompt provided by the site software and will likely cause your link to fail because it will have an extra http and www in it.

105_Custom_Avatar.jpg

If you have an avatar sized photo stored on your computer for uploading, select Option 2 and refer to this thread if you need help uploading the photo: Click here

After you're finished, click on the Save Changes button and you're done!

:wJane Ann

If you have an avatar sized photo stored on your computer for uploading, select Option 2 and refer to this thread if you need help uploading the photo: Click here

After you're finished, click on the Save Changes button and you're done!

Went thru the process, lets see if it worked

I successfully installed Windows image resizer. The choices it gives me are not by number of pixels, but rather small, medium and large! What now?
Thanks for any help. I am determined to post my avatar!

I successfully installed Windows image resizer. The choices it gives me are not by number of pixels, but rather small, medium and large! What now?
Thanks for any help. I am determined to post my avatar!
I use IrfanView ( http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/site-help-feedback/92538-resizing-photos-irfanview.html ) for resizing my photos (which offers a choice) so I'm not familiar with the Windows program. I'd suggest selecting "small" and see what size image that produces.

Thanks XLR8 and Crowvet. I am not sure exactly how, but my avatar suddenly appeared under my user name. It's my big accomplishment for the week. My car is undergoing a repaint, etc., and is about ready to return home. When it does, I will have to change my avatar, so I will probably be looking for more advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom