Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Outer door window felt seals 81' fittment

KELLEY1

I have purchased 2 new outer door window seals and they dont seem to fit. First, the split bosses on the seals that push into the chrome trim and door are tapered, my originals have indent on the bosses where they will snap in and lock, along with 2 screws, also the rubber that seals the door glass is about 5/16 wide and both of my originals are only about 1/8 wide. Do I have the wrong ones or is this typical aftermarket? The new seals were tagged 68-82. Anyone replaced these with success?

Sounds like typical aftermarket.the reason the originals are 1/8 inch,they are probably wore out(Which is why you are replacing them,yes?)
sometimes you have to 'help them a little' to fit.

good luck!

Well, my car has 55,000 miles, been stored and not driven for the last 20 years in my garage. The original seals are about 1/8 thick, both sides front to back. The rubber is hard, but I thought it would be odd for both sides to be worn identical widths and both sides of the rubber are not chewed up or cut etc....just hard. When I try to push the new rubber seals in, they dont wont to stay locked into the door. I retried my old ones and they will snap in place. I spread the bosses out a little and pushed the new ones in, put the 2 screw in and it still didnt fit snug to me. The rubber was very tight against the glass and the window would barely move. Already checked wire amperage draw, so I am good there. Anyone else????

I had the same problem. Looked at prices at a vendor sight and they listed factor correct and a cheaper version. Went with the cheap one and you guessed it, fit was horrable. I did get it installed but not happy with it. Only bought the drivers side so when I paint the car in a few years I'll get the best I can find.

I got mine from Zip or Doc Rebuild, same as original (as far as I looked) but a pain to get them snapped into the door.

Greetings Peter

I just reinstalled them again. Both sides are just not right. Just noticed each side has one split boss missing, and the rear screw hole is about 1/4" form the door hole. but that is not the problem. They have the window push in so far toward the insides, there is no way they will work. It does say made in the usa on the rubber, but???? Who has the best window felt on the market. I'd rather pay triple than to have cheap parts on my car!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom