Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Important! Paint consistency??

03yellavette

Corvette
2003 yellow targa.
How consistent are the paint colours in theses cars? Ie. if I bought a door with the exams paint code, how likely is it to match my car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The quality control standard for paint color on the C5 was pretty high because some of the components were either painted on other parts of the assembly line or supplied by outside vendors (e.g., mirror caps, fuel filler cover); that was main reason behind Aztec Gold Metallic being discontinued in the 1998 model year after only 15 cars were built: they could not achieve the standard of paint-matching quality set for the C5 using that color.

So I'd say the answer to your question is you have a fairly good chance of matching the paint on your car with a different door shell; but like all things, it's not going to be a 100% certainty. Good luck!

Excellent! Thanks for the response. It is going to cost me around $600 for a door but worth it

No worries.

Something else you should probably keep in mind when trying to select a replacement door is how much exposure it's had to sunlight -- and in what part of the world. If you get a door from your neck of the woods up there in Ontario, it's likely the paint will still be in pretty good shape; but if you get one from the Deep South or Southwest USA, it may be faded just enough to where it won't match your paint shade so well...

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the door. I am way too picky and my drivers door has a small gouge where the previous owner had opened the door and hit the edge on a wall. Fingers crossed that the new door doesn’t disappoint when it arrives

Any reason you just didn't take the car to a good paint & body shop and have them repair it?

Any reason you just didn't take the car to a good paint & body shop and have them repair it?

There are a few reasons I went this route. The Main reason is that I don’t really trust anyone to work on my vehicles, also the current door has had a body shop attempt to repair the spot already with less than satisfactory results

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom