Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Paint experts need advice take a look.

Vref

Corvette
65 Roadster
I am more of a mechanical and electrical guy, when it comes to paint I am lost. The original owner decided to put a rubber molding on the side of the car in 1976 to "protect" the car. He sanded the paint so it would stick real good. I have removed the molding without loosing any paint, but its needs touch up. It is original lacquer paint, so matching and painting the least amount of the door as possible is my goal. I bought a craftsman touch up air gun for the project. What do you think? Use lacquer? PPG? How should I sand it? What grit? How do I do this and make it look correct?

paint.door.JPG

paint.door%20(7).JPG

First you will probably need to blend and clear the whole door or paint the whole door using single stage urethane.Either way the gloss of the door is going to be alot more than the fender and the 1/4 panel.I notice there are some cracks in the area also.You will need to sand down to glass with 180 until those cracks are gone and then sand over the area with 240 then 320 and prime it with a urethane primer.Next sand the primer smooth and then depending on wether you paint the whole door or blend the door the prep work varies.

If painting the whole door sand the rest of it by hand with a soft block and 400 or 600 grit and paint it or

If blending and clearing use a scotch brite pad and cleanser and scrub the rest of the door clean while scuffing it for clear at the same time.Tape up the door to paint the whole door but use base coat to cover the repair and primer then clear the whole door. This is the way I would do it but there are many other ways .John z might have a few good ideas on blending lacquer .

I am really hoping not to have to paint the whole door. Its original paint, and the car has chips and stuff all over it. A newly painted door would not fit the rest of the paint job.She is 40 years old and showing some age is ok with me. Is it blend able?

you could try to blend the single stage ,either urethane or lacquer would work.the only problem is that in the process of buffing the blend out you may end up buffing the existing paint that is surrounding the repair down to the primer or at least make it too thin.Its been a while since Ive dealt with lacquer so forgive me if I goof.sand down the area as said before with 180,then sand over it or around it with 240 then 320.Prime the area trying to prime just the area where ever you broke through to primer or fiber glass.Sand the primer with 400 or 600.Paint the repair area stepping out on each coat using about 3 coats.After it dries lightly sand over it with 1000 grit and polish it.That method is basically the same wether you use urethane or lacquer except on the last coat sometimes its good to spray a light coat of straight retarder over dryspray in the actual blend.Did I help or confuse you?If this doesnt work Ive got some 2" silverado trim in the attic Ill let you have to cover the boo boo.:ugh

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom