Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Paint

safety_match

Corvette
1990 Bright Red roadster
My '90 still has the original paint and is very shiny because it's always been covered and waxed regularly. However, it has a couple very very small rock chips in it that go right through the paint and show white. I have a small bottle of touch-up paint that I'd like to use on these spots but I'm afraid of leaving a "blob" of paint behind.
Is there a method to apply this touch-up and knock down the "blob" after it dries?

Thanks, Safety

If the car still has the original paint I would maybe consider not using the touch up. There are many issues that could make the touch up look worse then leaving them alone. Have you checked into some colored wax. I have not been a big fan of those but over a small surface of the paint they can work good. If you do proceed to go along with it, make sure the color matches. I know all too well about going to an auto parts store to get some touch up and not getting the right color. Now I purchase the paint from a shop that matches the paint to your paint code. All these things are to be considered. The detailing dude has a good DVD that covers various processes of the detailing experience in which touch up painting is covered. That is also a thought.

Good luck
Craig

Visit the "Care & Detailing" forums of CAC. Blob removers are covered somewhere there. Or visit http://www.langka.com/newsite/index2.html and for their product. You may want to talk with someone who has used their product before going for it.

I did some touching up and I did not like the results in the visible parts such as the hood. It is quite good in hidden corners and under the hood though. Since I am far from USA I cannot get the blob remover. But it is a minute problem for me since the blobs are really very small; only I can see them...

After all if you happen to the touching up, please be very patient and use a tooth pick or some other sharp & soft object like that for the touching. The brush connected to the lid of the touch up paint bottle is far too large for small spots. And apply a second coat after the first one cures completely.

:beer :beer :beer

If you decide to touch up, get some suggestions from the detailing dude. You can get a DVD from him that covers all aspects of detailing including touch up. He recommends that using a cereal box cut to a point slightly smaller than the chip you are going to touch up.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Craig

Thanks to Vetteboy and SSTibet.

I have reconsidered touching it up...these knicks are very small and I could make them look worse by a botched touch-up. I do however, like the idea of a toothpick or cereal box. I never considered that the touch-up brush would leave an exceptionally large "blob".

Thanks guys

safety_match said:
Thanks to Vetteboy and SSTibet.

I have reconsidered touching it up...these knicks are very small and I could make them look worse by a botched touch-up. I do however, like the idea of a toothpick or cereal box. I never considered that the touch-up brush would leave an exceptionally large "blob".

Thanks guys
Yeah, I came up with the idea of a toothpick after doing the touch up with the lid mounted brush... :duh :duh How God damn stupid one can be to learn it the hard way!!! Well, I can... :hb :hb :hb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom