Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Painting Stock Rims

Dr_Shakalu

Corvette
1996 White Coupe
Hi everyone, I'm thinking of painting my 1996 Corvette stock rims. I saw paint made for rims but I was wondering how to get rid off the clear coat on the rims. Some of the clear coat has come off and I was thinking of sanding the rest of the clear coat off. Is that the way to get rid of the clear coating or is there some other way. Also, one rim has a little road rash on the edge and I was thinking about sanding the damaged edges. Thanks in advance, Ed

I have an '89 and the clearcoat on the wheels started to need attention. I found a spray can of aircraft paint remover at Auto Zone and it worked great for me. I took each tire off the car and used masking tape and cardboard to cover the tire itself. Then I carefully sprayed each rim and let it sit for several minutes while the stripper did its job. I rinsed it all off using a garden hose and they came out shinnier than ever. There were some stubborn spots, but I dryed the rim off and sprayed it again. I did use one of those kitchen scrubbers that are used for lite scrubbing of teflon pans to help, but be carefull not to rub hard. That got the rest of it off. I then got some Mother's wheel polish and a buffing wheel and poliished them up. They came out awesome. I did try to repaint them with clear again, but that only dulled the shine and I wasn't satisfied with the results. So I stripped the clear I just put on using the same stripper and left them alone. Nothing but car wax is used on them now and they have remained beautful for the last 4yrs. It wasn't that hard of a job to do and the results were amazing. Make sure you get the stripper made for aircraft, as that won't harm or discolor the metal. Good luck!.....Bill

What's the proper way to remove clear coat for paint prep?

Hi everyone, I'm thinking of painting my 1996 Corvette stock rims. I saw paint made for rims but I was wondering how to get rid off the clear coat on the rims. Some of the clear coat has come off and I was thinking of sanding the rest of the clear coat off. Is that the way to get rid of the clear coating or is there some other way. Also, one rim has a little road rash on the edge and I was thinking about sanding the damaged edges. Thanks in advance, Ed

I'm confused by the fact your subject and post itself are in no way related, and you're unlikely to receive any useful replies to your inquiry. For that reason, I'm going to re-title your thread and move it to the C4 General Forum. Maybe then it will generate on topic replies.

Good luck!
:wJane Ann

Ed, you had another thread with this exact same post but titled about a "FUSE...". I've re-titled that one and I'm going to combine the two since you have duplicates.

:wJane Ann

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom