Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Painting

Welcome to the CAC. John can probably answer that question but I'm fairly sure that the answer is yes. More important than brand from a restoration standpoint is the fact that Corvettes were all acrylic lacquer in the '60s. I have used mostly DuPont and R-M lacquer over the years with a few other brands thrown in from time to time. They all look the same with equal prep and finish.

The new types of BC/CC and enamel paint stand out like a rust hole in fiberglass on the judging field.

Tom

Thanks Tom. Good to be with CAC.
I agree with you, that BC-CC will not pass the judges. But I will take that deduction. I want to drive the car after completion, and will do just that, after the car is finished and judged.

I hope, someone knows the answer..
I was told, that all 1960's corvettes were painted with DuPont paint only. Is that thrue ? ;shrug

Rainer, that's correct - DuPont supplied all the factory primers, sealers, and topcoats for all GM assembly plants well into the 70's and early 80's; the DuPont family was the single largest GM shareholder, and that carried through into the business relationship. Dealers were free to choose whatever supplier they liked for refinish products, but most chose DuPont for improved color-matching (in the days before computer color-scanning).

:beer

Thanks, John. That confirms it. Hope my painter will be able to match the Sebring Silver paint. He wants to use DuPont. That's OK with me, as long as he comes close to matching the original paint.
Car is primed, ready for sealer and will be painted by end of next week, providing we can agree on the paint match...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom