Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Parade riders

gpb

Corvette
1969 convertible
I have a 1969 convertible and have been asked by my local school if I would be willing to drive a potential homecoming king and queen around the football field on homecoming night. They would have to sit on the rear deck that covers the convertible top. The question I have is it sturdy enough to handle the weight? If not, Is there some way to beef up the deck to handle the weight. Thanks in advance for any input on this matter.

Frankly, I dunno if I'd do it ... I'm kinda anal 'bout that kinda stuff.

PO did same w/ mine ... it does not appear to have hurt deck lid or surrounding body. But ... some stresses may take long time to present.

There was/is a form member (? 69myway ? sp? real name Chris McDonald) who prepped his for same ... when he restored his he painted gloss black but shot the deck lid w/ textured urethane "rhinoliner" ... I dunno if he did anything else.

I did two Cherry Blossom parades in Washingtion transporting VIP's. I had no problem with the person sitting on the deck, but I did have problems with running my 64 at the slow and stop and go speed in a parade.The first year I did the parade my car was very stock and had minor problems with it 'loading' up. The second year the car was a real hot rod with a new 420hp smallblock. I had real problems with the car running hot. No more parades for me.

There are a couple of issues you should consider before doing this. First, given the age of your car, the fiberglass is very dry and brittle. Mine is a 68, and I have to be very careful about placing weight on top surfaces such as that. Second, the rear deck isn't reinforced enough to handle the weight of one person, let alone two. Three, if your paint is still nice, the weight of a person could cause spider cracks under the surface.

If it were me, I wouldn't do it, anal or not. Its a simple matter of protecting your investment.

I think my first consideration would be how much do these people weigh??
If the queen is a heifer and the king is a 300 pound linebacker you may have a problem!! :ugh Otherwise, you should be good to go.

Randy

If your car is a 4-speed, prepare for the stench of a burning clutch and a LOT of wear on the throwout bearing; parade duty is REALLY tough on the clutch. I quit doing parades years ago just for that reason.

:beer

If i had a scanner, there is a picture in my high school yearbook with a 71 vert with 5 homecoming girls on the decklid.

Make them step on the scales first, and then decide.:crazy :L

Also don't forget about those little high heel shoes with the small pointy heel that will stepping on your passenger seat. I still need to repair my seat cover from one parade. Also don't think you will always be appreciated for using your car by the people you haul!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom