Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Parking brake shoe install

I replaced mine a few years ago just as explained in the link directions. It is tight in there but it can be done. If I remember correctly there is one spring hold down stake on each axel that can not be removed without pulling the splash guard. Mine was in good shape so I left it.
What part are you stuck at?
Brian

Hi Brian,

I replaced the "blind" pin by loosing the bolts as explained in the instructions. Problem is trying to hold the blind pin with a needle nose pliers while trying to
fit:bang the spring and dime sized metal piece with the hole in it over the pin- and then turn the pin to hold it on.

I think the pin without the "blind" pin might be a bit easier.

Try this, take a old standard blade screwdriver that the blade is 5/16” in width and with a hack saw cut a slot in the center just wide enough so the pin fits into it about ¼” deep. With your needle nose pliers hold the pin so it won’t push in as your putting pressure on it when putting the cup on. Now once you align the pin with the slotted opening of the cup align the slot of the screwdriver tool you made so when you compress the spring in far enough just turn the screwdriver so the pin will lock into the cup. It’s not easy and may take several times but it’s the only way it can be done. I purchased the tool but it was of poor quality and the slot broke only after the second attempt. So that’s when I made my own tool.
Hope this helps,
Brian

do what i did on my first one....remove it all and forget about it!

:chuckle That was my "Plan B." What I "shudda" have done is when I did the wheel bearings back in the late '80's, is to have done it then when the spindles were out but I guess I was to ****in' cheap! I did do them with a SS stuff on the '67 when I did those rear wheel bearings at the same time, but not on the '69.

Hi Brian,

I replaced the "blind" pin by loosing the bolts as explained in the instructions. Problem is trying to hold the blind pin with a needle nose pliers while trying to
fit:bang the spring and dime sized metal piece with the hole in it over the pin- and then turn the pin to hold it on.

I think the pin without the "blind" pin might be a bit easier.

Tie the spring down (shorter than the end of the pin) with dental floss back through the pin hole in the backing plate and tie it off. Position the round retainer over the end of the pin, turn it, then cut the dental floss. :)

Tie the spring down (shorter than the end of the pin) with dental floss back through the pin hole in the backing plate and tie it off. Position the round retainer over the end of the pin, turn it, then cut the dental floss. :)

:upthumbs That is Brilliant:cool

:w

:W:W:WThis didn't work either. The blind hole doesn't permit it. I tied floss around the compressed spring and retainer but then couldn't get the pin in. I've done "impossible" jobs before (and completed them) but I'm about ready to pack it in on this. If after a couple of hours on it tomorrow I have negative results, I'll leave it off the right side. Even if I get the P/S done, I'll then still have the D/S to do. The D/S is still intact so maybe the best idea right now is to leave it. The job was necessitated because the spring on the P/S broke cause the pivot majiggie froze up. I put fishing line on the pin to hold it but that too, kept breaking.:hb;help

This can be done. Just did it last night. I wouldn't have believed it, But I did it!!! The floss trick is GREAT!
On a scale of 1 to 10 as far as difficulty, I give the job a 7+.
The first one took about 2 hrs, and the second only about 1/2 hr.
Once you figure it out, it's really not that bad.

Compress the springs on two sides with the floss as tight as you can. Snap it onto the little cap.
If the spring and cap won't stay together, mine did, you might use a little bearing grease to stick them together.
If you have someone to help hold the shoe where you need, I'm sure it would help. (I ended up using my foot)
Hold the cap by the floss just behind the access hole. Insert a small flathead through the hole and the hole in the cap.
Touch the end of the pin with the screwdriver and slide the cap onto the pin with the needlenose.
Now grab the end of the pin with the pliers. Use the screwdriver to spin the cap into the the lock position. Don't let go of the pin!!!
Now take a small exacto knife and cut the floss. Once you get one of the ties cut you can relax. The tension will hold the cap in place.
Now, you have to be very careful turning the hole thing around to get to the other tie or you can spin the cap right off the pin.

I hope this helps. Don't give up on it. I was pretty excited when I finally figured it out. It's real nice having a working brake.

This should help.

PBshoes.jpg

I did mine the same way (with the dental floss), worked out great but now I'm having a hard time adjusting the e-brake.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom