Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Parking Locators

98TXRed

Now that my wife wants to park her new car in the garage, I have very tight quarters to work with and was thinking about getting a laser sensor or parking curbs before I do some damage. Has anyone used either and do they work? What are the pluses and drawbacks the systems? Other than on-line, where can they be purchased?

Did this to all 3 of my garage bays.......

attached a tennis ball to a long rope hung from the cieling at the appropriate windshield level.
Stop when the tennis ball strikes the windshield.
Low buck approach that works for us.

Pep Boys or Sears has them...I back my car into my garage and use the beam of light that goes across the door frame for the automatic door opener. When it stop blinking on the box the beam comes out of...I know I'm in.

I thought about using the ol' tennis ball trick, but we are talking about 6 inch or so tolerance. But the idea of using the automatic door opener beam is a good one and I’ll also check with PepBoys and Sears to see what they have available. Thanks.

I found one of those "floor stops" at Home Depot for about ~15.00. It is an analog device and not prone to failure. My wife has not had a problem so far.

If you have close quarters you may want to buy you a sheet of sterofoam from home depot , when you get out of your car slide it inbetween the twocars so the doors won't hit the panels, you can trim the sterafoam to any size. for a stop Ihad some 4x4 left from when I built my deck , just cut them to the size you feel will work and lay them in front of your tires

Tennis ball problem...

I use a tennis ball attached to the garage door, but I have a problem when Kenny has been working in the garage:
He will toss the tennis ball over the garage door and not pull it back down.

If the ball is over the door and not hanging down, I can't judge where to stop, so I have to exit the 78 and go pull the tennis ball down! Grrr!
Heidi

ps...I also have about 18" front and back between the 'stuff' in front of the 78 and the garage door. I have put styrofoam in front of where the nose goes, and I haven't dented it, yet.
Ultimate goal is to clear that 'stuff' out from in front of the vette so parking is unhampered.
h

How about just looking out your drivers window for some sort of lineup point on the wall, when it's right across from you your there. I never liked the idea of things hanging down in the bays. Of course now that the vette is up for the winter, when the mirror of the Z is even with the vettes mirror I'm there

I placed a 1x4 board on the floor behind the rear tire so the car is centered when either driven in, or backed in. I spray painted along the edge of the board to mark the floor about 12" so it can be picked up out of the way when working while the car is out, and replaced in exactly the same spot again for parking. When backing or driving in, I let the tire run up on the board slightly, then let the car roll natually off the board so it doesn't leave a V spot on the tire overnight. Low tech... low cost... low maint.
Width wise, I have about 4 feet on either side to play with.
vettepilot

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom