Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

40th Anniversary passenger side door/lock

1993 40th Anniversary Corvette Topic

bpdfs

Corvette
1993 40th Ann
OK So both door panels on the car are kinda of warped. at some point im going to replace them but my question is on the Passenger side. The lock is very sticky. You have to unlock the car like 3 times for the Pluger to move over and same to lock the car.. Does anyone know any quick fixes without having to take it in? and Is the door panel easy to get off and get back on???

Thanks!

Mine does that too on the passenger side, it works just fine, but moves slow. I will be pulling the door panel this weekend (I think) to fix the loose door handle. I can take a look at the mechanism and tell you what I think. I'm a auto tech my trade so, but I work for Ford at the moment. Yes, I catch lots of bs from the guys at work for having a Vette.

My 40th is the third C4 I have owned, and I have had the door panels off on the others many times. If your panels are flopping on the upper edge, then they're already half-way off. Unscrew the 6-8 screws around the lower inner edge of the panel, then start looking for the others behind the inner door handle, and behind the rear edge, by the hatch release button. Maybe one or two at the armrest handle. The early C4s were tougher because you'd have to take out the speaker in the door. Now, carefully lift the panel, making sure not to rip the wires. They all can now be unplugged. Pull back the plastic moisture shield, and the lock actuator is in the rear of the door. Cycle it a few times, so you can see how it works, and lube the pivot points. A few more cycles and the tired part will act much younger. Put it all back together and less than an hour will be spent on what you did. Buffing and cleaning the contact points on all of the connectors can also be time well spent. Dielectic grease will keep those contacts efficient.

Had my door panel off today, nothing needed lubed, plenty of it present. Appeared that the lock rod that your plastic door lock attaches to moves in an arch on mine. Hits the bottom of the bezel. With the plastic door lock in place it will move in a straight line but it moves slowly if at all. Did not appear bent. If this is factory designed like that well no wonder GM is bankrupt.
Messed with it some and got it work good enough that it locks and unlocks the door with no problems. Sweet?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom