Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Performance radiator for a ZR1?

• Thread starter Thread starter MrCrowley
  • Start date Start date
M

MrCrowley

Who makes the best aluminum lightweight radiator for a zr1? And who has the best price for that product?

First mod I would like to do to the zr1 is make it run very cool!

the two I like best are the Ron Davis (550) installs with some
very slight mods to the cushions and rad shroud, or the
fluidyne (450 @ summit) which is a direct replacement.

the ron davis is recommended I believe by LPE and some others and I installed one in my 95 zr1 and it worked great!!!

that car had headers and a stock thermostat but the rad would keep the temps right at 190 which is about right for best power.

the fluidyne is also a good unit but not quite as big and beefy.

I'd install a 180 thermo and a chip with the revised fan strategy too.

Wow, those 2 radiators look pretty beefky, and they claim to be lighter than stock. Was your LPE radiator lighter than your stock one? By the way, the car already has the lower thermo, and revised chip, along with the 368!

I didn't notice it was much if any lighter. the factory radiator is pretty wimpy, and over time the plastic end tanks tend to get stress cracks and weep, or they lose their crimp.

the LT5 water pump is very high volume, and the bypass system helps keep the pressure from blowing up the factory radiator.

the 368's with the higher compression tend to run a bit hot. especially with the AC on in that hot southern air.

I think the Ron Davis is a bit beefier than the fluidyne, but the fluidyne is very well made too and "drop in".

the ron davis does take some triming to fit, but it's still ez.

I think either one is a pretty good choice and a big improvement over the stock rad. that's a late winter project for me too.

congrats on that 368, you really scored!!! How is the "gear rattle" with the alum flywheel???

I'm also interested to know how you like the exhaust. is the resonance too bad, or the exhaust too loud (or maybe I'm too old!!!).

details!!! love to hear more about your car, you stole it at that price!!! cya.

I know it probably doesn't make much difference but does anyone know which unit is lighter?

Jay

Well after seeing Ron's post he did say the rubber mounts had to be cut on the LPE unit(thicker unit means more weight), so I would guess that the Fluidyne one is lighter. Correct me if I am wrong Ron?

Well to be honest I havent made it back to pick up the car with a trailor. I will do that next Sunday. Im so anxious to get the car! Anyhow, what gear rattle? The car has none what so ever! I think the key to the smf issue is to have the rotating assembly bananced. I think the zr1 makes less flywheel noise in nuetral than my stock lt4 car. You could probably balance a nickel on the top of the plenum while revving the car. I was alittle depressed when I put the corsa system on my lt4 car, its more quiet than stock at idle, but roars with a weird tone @wot. Now the zr1 sounds great. It does have some interior resonance in 6th gear, lugging the damn thing, and giving alittle gas, but thats expected. The 3.92 gears set the car in the perfect powerband, which also helps on lowend resonance. I think 368's need alittle bit more than 3.73's.
As far as mods for the future, first I will stiffer the car against chassis flew, and most definately change the radiator. I removed my forcedair setup from the lt4 car, with all intentions of going on the zr1. Ill take another 8-10rwhp anyday! I also spoke with Dave Cooper, and I will mock up a zr1 camber brace, then send it to him, he will then jig it up and shoot it in powdercoat, and send it back. The car already has a DRM rollbar, so I will add in the camberbrace, and some beamplates. And go whip some local boys , who think they are the s##t. But mostly I will give the car lots of tlc, and keep mileage low, while saving up for the 415!

nice!!! let me know if you need some beam plates.

they help quite a bit. I have them on my 3 zr1s and have really been happy with the improvement.

some of the cars with the single mass alum flywheel have a bit of gear rattle from the zf. the sprung clutch helps, and it's not that bad on some cars.

for sure, you will enjoy that ride!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom