Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Pilot bushings. . .etc. . .

Bolisk

Corvette
1972 LS5 Convertible PS, PB, A/C
Anyone ever seen an aluminum pilot pushing installed in their car? Mine appears to have on. It's definitely not bronze. :) Also anyone no of a way to get the old one out without taking the clutch off?

-J

Never seen an aluminum one but you never know.

I remove these using hydraulics. I have an old transmission input shaft I use but if you have a round brass drift or steel punch that fits inside the pilot bushing snuggly it is easy. Put some grease in the bottom of the pilot up to about 1/3 to 1/2 full. Insert the drift then wrap a rag around it so the grease won't fly out and hit you. Then whack the drift with a hammer sharply. The blow will force the grease in behind the pilot forcing the pilot to slide out of the crankshaft. You may have to add more grease and strike it again if it doesn't come all the way out first try.

Tom

Good idea!

I have the lisle tool that uses the same principle. . .but I cannot quite get it to thread on without taking the clutch off.

Thanks,
-J

Anyone ever seen an aluminum pilot pushing installed in their car? Mine appears to have on. It's definitely not bronze. :) Also anyone no of a way to get the old one out without taking the clutch off?

-J

You have one of the later bronze alloy bushings that have a silvery color. But it is a bronze alloy. I impact a 5/8" tap (I think it's a 5/8") into mine and when the tap bottoms it gets shoved out. To put the new bushing in grind or file a little bevel on the outer edge of the front and tap it in enough to get it started then place an impact socket against it and drive it in with a heavier hammer. They go in hard but they do go in.

You have one of the later bronze alloy bushings that have a silvery color. But it is a bronze alloy. I impact a 5/8" tap (I think it's a 5/8") into mine and when the tap bottoms it gets shoved out. To put the new bushing in grind or file a little bevel on the outer edge of the front and tap it in enough to get it started then place an impact socket against it and drive it in with a heavier hammer. They go in hard but they do go in.

Good to know! Thanks, It looks like the one that's in there is in good condition. . .but the color threw me. Glad to know that I don't have to replace it yet. Gonna wait until the clutch fails.

-J

Good to know! Thanks, It looks like the one that's in there is in good condition. . .but the color threw me. Glad to know that I don't have to replace it yet. Gonna wait until the clutch fails.

-J

Those pilot bushings last a very long time because the only time they're used is when it's in gear and you have the clutch released. Usually replaced only at the time of an engine overhaul.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom