Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Plastic thingys I dont know the name of.

Will

Corvette
1987 Medium Blue Targa\Coupe
The trim panel located on the inside drivers side door, just next to the inner window weather strip; is falling off as the plastic fixtures have aged to the point where they have become brittle and crumbled away.

Does anyone know the technical name, and if possible, code number for those plastic attachments? I asked Mid America Motorworks if they supplied them, but they said they could be purchased from any hardware store.

I cannot buy them of course because I don’t know there name or what they look like, and I do not have unbroken example of the fixtures as I do not want to risk extracting the existing ones for fear of breaking them too.

Perhaps if I had a 1:1 scale picture.

I think everyone is unsure what plastic piece you mean. is it the little vent thing towards the front? Or the actual long flat piece next to the weather strip?
I am confused!:confused

They are called trim retaining clips but being such a generic name it would be unlikely that it would refer to the exact part I’m looking for. I think there are probably hundreds of trim retaining clips for all sorts of things.

Anyway the clips I am referring to hold this trim panel onto the door. They are located underneath this panel.

604611.jpg

Will said:

I cannot buy them of course because I don’t know there name or what they look like, and I do not have unbroken example of the fixtures as I do not want to risk extracting the existing ones for fear of breaking them too.

That piece there is not held on by any "clips". It has several plastic studs or posts with threads on the tip that are part of the whole piece itself. They insert into corresponding holes on the door panel, and then a nut is screwed onto those studs from the other side of the door panel holding it on. The problem is that the factory piece our Vettes came with have cheap plastic studs. The replacment pieces that Mid America sells like the one you show there come with metal studs on the bottom instead of the cheap plastic studs that come with the original pieces that break off. The thing is that a replacement pieice like that runs about $100 each side. I simply removed my door panel, drilled a hole into the remaining part of the broken stud, and screwed a screw with a washer on it to hold it on. Worked great.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom