Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Please don't laugh at me......

F

FixFalcon

....but I want to know what constitutes a 'vette being a "Stingray"? Is it the L-82 and 4-speed, or what? And what years were they available?

Also, ummmm, why are there no Corvettes made in 1983?

Nobody will laugh at you. You asked a couple legitimate questions.

The "Stingray" emblem first appeared on the 1969 model year and ended on the 1976 model year. It was merely a model name designation and did not indicate any specific engine/power options.

The reason for no 1983 Corvette was because the next generation Corvette was slated for a very late release and because of rapidly changing government emissions regulations, Bob Stemple, Chevrolet General Manager, decided to pass up the 1983 model year and introduce the next generation Corvette as a 1984 model with updated emissions equipment.

No problem. :) I want to say that somewhere along the way, the Stingray designation was split up into two words: Sting Ray, but I can't find any reference to it in my literature.

Anyone else know for sure?

The two word Sting Ray was used 63-67. The 68 Vette was refered to as a Sting Ray (two words) in ads and lit but did not have an badges. The one word Stingray came along in 69 and continued till 76.

tom...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom