Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Please help!!..cooling question for '67 coupe

Tripleblack51

Corvette
C7 Z06 /1967 Coupe
I bought and installed a restoration radiator from Tom Dewitts.
The model I got is the Sp20 with the 16" fan.

I installed the radiator and it works great....too great!

I have not installed the relay and heat sending unit that came with the fan.
This is because there is no additional port for the sending unit.

Does this mean that the relay and temp sending unit cannot be installed?

I have looked for a thermostat housing that will have an additional port in it for the sending unit, but apparently there is not one that will work on my car.
The electric fan runs constantly along with the engine fan and the car never gets hotter than 160 degrees.

This in 90 degree Florida temperature and humidity!

The only way the car will get hot is if I pull the fuse and disable the fan.

My questions:

1) What are the downsides to the engine running so cool?

I can set the fan up so that it comes on when the a/c is turned on and install a by-pass switch that I can turn on manually.

I would love to have it work as it's supposed to..the electric fan coming on when the temp reaches 185 degrees.

2) What downside/s are there to the electric fan running constantly?

Thanks for any help.

Pedro

Pedro what motor are we dealing with?

there should be a port available right in the head on the passenger side or driver side.

IH2LOSE said:
Pedro what motor are we dealing with?

there should be a port available right in the head on the passenger side or driver side.

Larry,

L79...327/350.

There are no ports to be found..
(Edit) besides the one where the regular temp sending unit is right now, but this sends temp reading to the gauge on my dash.

I use a Derale fan control that is completely temp adjustable, accepts 2 fans, and uses a rad probe between the fins to sense temps. It works great and leaves the engine temp to the engine tstat, while making sure the rad stays at the temp you set on the Derale controller.

IMO That makes much more sense than running a fan on a cool day when the rad is cold and the engine is hot..

magicv8 said:
I use a Derale fan control that is completely temp adjustable, accepts 2 fans, and uses a rad probe between the fins to sense temps. It works great and leaves the engine temp to the engine tstat, while making sure the rad stays at the temp you set on the Derale controller.

IMO That makes much more sense than running a fan on a cool day when the rad is cold and the engine is hot..

magicv8,

Thanks for the feedback..

Please tell me more about this Derale fan control and where can I get one.

I appreciate your help.

Pedro

Tripleblack51 said:
magicv8,

Thanks for the feedback..

Please tell me more about this Derale fan control and where can I get one.

I appreciate your help.

Pedro
google "derale fan control"

motorman said:
google "derale fan control"

Thanks...I needed that!

I believe you may have solved my opportunity..:D

:beer

Pedro

How about a t-stat housing from a late 1970s C3? The one in the pic is a 1979. Replace that yellow thermal vacuum switch (TVS) with your sensor.

intake791.jpg

paul67 said:
How about a t-stat housing from a late 1970s C3? The one in the pic is a 1979. Replace that yellow thermal vacuum switch (TVS) with your sensor.

Thanks Paul,
I've tried that...it won't work. The housing faces the wrong way.
We also thought of tapping out a 3/8 hole in the existing housing where the t-stat is.

I believe I'm going to go with the relay from Summit.

Thank you for your response. :beer

Quote=magicv8]You have been to too many of our corporate meetings...........

I got a 16749 here http://derale.carshopinc.com/product_info.php/products_id/63016/16749

;LOL ;LOL ;LOL

You mean we work for the same corporation?

I thought you looked familiar!!

Thanks for all your help.. you guys are the best.

Pedro:w

magicv8 said:
You have been to too many of our corporate meetings...........

I got a 16749 here http://derale.carshopinc.com/product_info.php/products_id/63016/16749

I dont knwo about this part but this is the company I have been using for all of my normal speed shop purchases,I deal with the owner Tim. He is a true car guy like us and is a pleasure to deal with. He bailed me out so many times with my 62 build. Cant say enough about the place its like dealing with paragon reproductions just Top Notch

magicv8 said:

I ordered this one from Summit yesterday.
It should do the trick.

Thanks again,

Pedro
:w

DER-16738

Tripleblack51 said:
I ordered this one from Summit yesterday.
It should do the trick. Thanks again, Pedro
DER-16738

I don't want to rain on your parade, but do you realize a nonadjustable 180F on, 170F off unit requires a 160f or 170f tstat to avoid the possibility of continuous operation in hot weather and unnecessary operation in cool weather. A 180f tstat should begin to open at 180 - usually putting 185-190f coolant into the rad.

I use a 170f (same temp as the factory installed) tstat in my car, and my (adjustable) fan comes on at 185-190f. That holds the rad at 175-180f. The fan does not run in cool weather, since the rad gets enough cold air to stay below 185f.

IMO it's a lot easier to adjust a controller than to change a tstat to get a synchronized cooling system.

paul67 said:

intake791.jpg

Yeah, maybe too late now but here's the JEG's PN that I use on my cars ->720-2557

The C3 T-stat housing looked good to me. Still can be sourced from GM. It does face in the in the right direction?? Just curious why it won't work. Thanks!

magicv8 said:
I don't want to rain on your parade, but do you realize a nonadjustable 180F on, 170F off unit requires a 160f or 170f tstat to avoid the possibility of continuous operation in hot weather and unnecessary operation in cool weather. A 180f tstat should begin to open at 180 - usually putting 185-190f coolant into the rad.

I use a 170f (same temp as the factory installed) tstat in my car, and my (adjustable) fan comes on at 185-190f. That holds the rad at 175-180f. The fan does not run in cool weather, since the rad gets enough cold air to stay below 185f.

IMO it's a lot easier to adjust a controller than to change a tstat to get a synchronized cooling system.

Dave,
You're not raining on my parade at all.
I sincerely appreciate your help.

I put a new temp sending unit and a 160 t-stat in my car when I first got it.

Combining that with the controller I ordered, will this meet my needs or will the electric auxiliary fan still run all the time?

Or would I be better off ordering this part?
DER-16759

Thanks again,

Pedro

stepinwolf said:
an adjustable, programmable, fan switch, that hooks up directly to your present temperature sender, ( no need for another threaded outlet ) and gives you more options then a regular on/off switch.

Stepinwolf

The thing a sensor that is plugged into the engine doesn't do is monitor the radiator coolant temp. The tstat should monitor the engine temp and call for rad coolant when needed. An electric fan should respond to rad temp, since it is cooling the rad. Sensing engine temp instead can be a big problem for A-C cars in hot weather, with the A-C exchanger feeding a lot of extra heat to the front of the rad.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom