Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Please let me know your Experinces with Corvette City in Denver Colo?

Wilkinshc

Corvette
1965 Coupe
If you have used Corvette City what did you have done and what was your experience?

Thanks in advance
Chuck

If you have used Corvette City what did you have done and what was your experience?

Thanks in advance
Chuck

Lots of excuses for "extremely" late shipment. Lots of promises about financial compensation which never appeared. Lots of promises to fix broken promises....which never happened.

:eyerole

Thanks for the info, I have been getting a little nervous and thought I better check.

I have a couple of things that have concerned me:

1. I dropped my car off march 29 (Thursday) and asked when they would be starting on it and was told it would started on right away by Gary(owner). I called back on the following Wednesday to see how it was going and check to see if they received a check I mailed. I was told that they had not started on it yet. I stated I was kind of suprised because I was told they would start right away. Gary was gone and on the road. Scott (2nd in charge) said that they should get started on it by the end of the week. I called Thursday late afternoon and talked with Gary ( he was tired as he just returned from his trip) and I told him I was suprised that work had not been started yet and when would it start. He said his fiberglass guy was now gone until next thursday on vacation. But they would start breaking down to prepare it for the fiberglass guy next week. So I am getting an uneasy feeling now.

2.When I dropped off the car Gary requested a 8000 deposit which had not been requested before on the phone during our previous discussions. I had thought that my 50,000 parts was enough assurance I would pay my bill but I thought, ok. All I had with me was my debit card so we put 2500 on that (daily limit) and would send a check when I got back to NM (8hrs away). I have not run into that in the past.

3. I sent the check to Gary to the address that I had from Google. Google has Corvette City 6863 E 48th ave commerce city co 80022. My mail was returned to me which now I found out it should have been denver co 80216. My charge on the debit card show a charge to Corvette Masters not Corvette City, different name.

4. On thursday when talking to Gary he ask me to charge another 2500 but I am getting a little concerned about nothing happening to my car. So I ask to wait till he replies to an email I sent listing what I want done with a start and completion time frame. He said that he would get that done by Monday, today at the latest. Well Monday at 5pm and nothing so I call and Gary answers and I ask if he has looked at the email and has an estimate with price and dates requested. He says the one that I sent from last week? I said yes. He said that he looked at it but has not had time to get it done and that he will get to it in the next couple of days. I asked if they have started working on it yet. He says no. So now it's Monday and last Thursday Gary told me for the second time they would start working on it right away and nothing yet. NOT a good feeling in my stomach now. :puke

4. In our phone conversations I asked a time frame. body, paint, roll bar and was told by Gary it should take 2-3 months. So when I dropped it off I asked what date could I expect it being done. They asked if I needed it back by a certain time. I said I was hoping to take it to the Black Hill Corvette Rally in July (4months away). The answer was they would try and they should be able. Not the 2-3 months that was quoted over the phone. There was alot of nice vettes in their shop so I figure maybe that they just didn't want to be tied down to a date but now I am not sure if it will be done in 4 months.

Am I over reacting?

Is this normal?

I am just nervous having my pride and joy so far away and not being able to monitor what is happening to it. After 12 years in the Marines and 14yrs of owning my own business I put a lot of wieght on a person's word. You tell me something, I expect you to do it.

Chuck

AH....HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

GET YOUR CAR..GET YOUR MONEY...FIND SOMEONE ELSE....BEFORE ITS TOOOOOO LATE........

A horse of a different color

I'm so sorry to hear that you have, or are having difficulty with Gary. Looks as though transactions with different customers doesn't always go over in the same way. As for myself, I have had nothing but positive experiences with Gary, and if my past experiences are any clue as to how I would be treated in the future, I would have no second thoughts about doing business with him once again.

Years ago I was searching for a mint convertible body ( my present 65 Red Convertible ) and I was directed to-wards Gary, who, I was told at the time had such a body. I called him about the purchase, and after a few back and forth e-mails we agreed on a selling price, that was actually lower ( I didn't mention it to him ) that I would have expected to pay for such a rare piece.

Next issue was the transportation problem. I had him inquire at his end, and during that time I was doing the same at my end, before we both realized that the shipping would not be cost effective. Then he made me another proposition that turned out to be a God send for my transportation problem. His right hand man ( I believe it was Scott, but I'm not quite sure ) was planning on driving down to Florida for the Daytona 500, and as luck would have it, his trip was two fold. He was also hauling a trailer with a rolling chassis ( 68 Vette ) and two bare, rubber bumpered bodies to someone in New York State as part of his trip.

He then explained to me the exact route that was to be taken, and asked me if there was any city or town on the agenda, where we could meet up. My two choices at the time were Albany or Buffalo, and seeing that Albany was only a four hour drive, that was the agreed meeting area. The trip was to be made with their brand new Chevy pick-up, and when all was said and done, they realized that they had not sufficient space for my body. Well they then built a wooden supporting rack that was strapped to the top of their new pick-up box, and my body was loaded on top for the trip.

When everything was setup, we sat down and made arrangements for meeting with a two week time frame, at a distance of two thousand miles, and when everything was said and done. we met at the exact spot that had been decided, and that within fifteen minutes of the pre-arranged time slot. I figured it wasn't bad for a long distance purchase. Lastly, I forgot to mention that the total cost was less then 20% of what the cost to ship would have been.

The second time I did business with him was following a recommendation from 67Heaven regarding the purchase of the " wide Corvette fenders ". I was very impressed with Bob's Corvette and since I was also building a tire burner, it wasn't long before I decided to purchase four of the fenders for myself. I called Gary, and was able to have a set of 4 made up for me. However when the time came for delivery, the same problem came up as to the cost to ship. I then asked him if he had any alternative, and was told that he might be able to have them sent a little later at one of the shows they attend. Well the only show I did at that time was the Corvette show in Carlisle.

He did not plan on attending, but told me that there were a few of his associates that were planning on being there. Things then all fell together quite well, because he had then brought down to the show with a friend of his. Then all I needed to do was to drive over to the vendor space the gentlemen was occuping and pick them up. I did offer the fellow a " Cold Canadian " for his trouble, but as it turned out the transportation to the show ended up not costing me a cent.

Based on the above, although it is quite different from the experiences of others, I'm afraid to say that I would not have any second thoughts about doing business with him once again. Communication is everything to-day, and you would be amazed to see how many issues could be worked out if thoses involved would just sit down together and talk things out. No reasonable businees person, is looking for problems , or hassles as a side effect of trying to earn a living.

Good luck with your dealings,

Stepinwolf

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom