Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Plenum Pull Club

• Thread starter Thread starter secondchance
  • Start date Start date
S

secondchance

Need Help!!!

Yesterday, I pulled the plenum to correct vacuum leak. In doing so, accidentally pulled the wires off TPS. Three wires, dk blue, black and grey. I belive I got the correct connections: A-Black, B-dk. Blue and C-Grey. Now, motor cranks but won't fire. Whats even more strange is even when I release the ignition key, starter continues to run for 5-6 seconds. Could it be wrong connection for TPS? Or maybe, I accidentally disconnected wires to Crank Position Sensor?
If anyone could verify TPS wire colors to a, b, and c terminal, I would appreciate it.
Also, where is the connection for the crank position sensor?

Thanks.

Hi, Guys,
Having just finished sealing all vacuum lines under the plenum, thought I would share some pointers.

1. My vacuum lines are only 8 months old and yet it started to leak. What I have learned is that these lines are comprised of hard plastic and rubber fittings. Due to constant heat, rubber fittings turn soft and holes too big for the hard plastic tubing leading to vacuum leak. My suggestion is when replacing these lines, whenever possible, slide the hard plastic tubing out about an 1/8" and apply epoxy and slide it back in. Then build epoxy between the rubber fitting and the tubing again. Also, whenever possible, use plastic wire tie to secure rubber fitting to plastic tubing. My leak had come from fitting that connects to L-shaped rubber fitting connected to vacuum reservoir.

2. It is not necessary to drain the radiator to pull the plenum (thanks Rob). Just make sure you have a towel handy to wipe up coolant dripping when the plenum is pulled.

3. If you are careful and lucky, plenum gasket can be saved and reused. But have an extra set handy, just in case.

4. You can get torx head set with 2" long shaft w/ 1/4" drive socket and 1/4" drive torque wrench. Just be careful and start threading w/ hand. Being aluminum, I think its easy to strip the thread on the block and that will ruin anyone's day.

5. Lastly, remember to disconnect all electrical connectors before yanking on the plenum and avoid unnecessary hassle like I did. I pulled the TPS sensor connector and a replacement, I just found out, is $35!

6. Plastic tie or hose clamp on vacuum line between the plenum and brake vacuum booster, i think, is a good idea.

7. While you have the plenum off, use wire ties to secure vacuum line from plenum to MAP sensor. When plenum is installed, there is no room to do this.

Above prcedure should keep you from the aggrevation of pulling the plenum for many years and assure you of good vacuum and seeing all the horses LT-5 is capable of.

P.S. Done right, all this can be done in 2-2.5 hours.

Thanks for the info. I am currently a member of the Plenum Pull club. I also made sure to wire tie any hose connections under there to hopefully avoid any future vacuum leaks.

Jay

Abs & Asr

Finally got everything straightened out. Vacuum tight plenum and TPS running right.
Erased all codes and stepped into it in first gear up to 7000 rpm. Strangely ABS and ASR lights up. This is the 3rd time in 3 months. Anyone had similar experience? Seems to be speed sensor related.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom