Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

polyurethane and ball joint upgrades

XS650

Corvette
96 LT-4 6-spd Convertible
Here's a bunch of questions about polygraphite bushings, ball joints and tie rod ends and steering rack adjustment.

I plan to switch to polygraphite bushngs on my '96 C4 convert with standard suspension every place in the seuspension, steering rack mounts and differential mount that uses rubber now.

Is there any reason that you recommend not using polygraphite bushings at any particular location?

The rest of the suspension will be stock except for a shock rebuild with slight upgrade on the damping and probably a perfomance street driving wheel alignment.

What are the best brands of ball joints and tie rod ends ?

Are there any brands that obviously don't make the best list?

What criteria should I use to determine if I should replace joints/ends?

1. Do it, just because you don't want to muck with the suspension again.

2. Follow Shop manual wear criteria.

3. Use one half shop manual wear criteria

The 96 C4 steering rack has a pinion adjustment. Should I adjust it to the tight side of the fatory tolerance range?
If not how?

Dick

Thanks, that C3 poly thread was an interesting one. It was 180 degrees out from what I have generally seen on C4 and C5 related poly threads.

Dick

I've had poly and heim joints on my (streeter) car for a decade. While I get more 'feedback' from the road, I like how my suspension does not change geometry with road bumps. My poly is quite old and really responds nicely to a smear of red grease. The suspension seems to work noticeable better.

I can barely stand the relative looseness of a Vette with the stock, rubber suspension. To each, his own. Kept me out of a ZR-1, some years ago.

I fail to see how poly would help the driveline mounts, however; at all!

Bottom for me? I'd go with poly and skip the heims, for a street car.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom