Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

power antenna

antenna not working on 91 conv. any ideas?
If the 91 is anyway close to the 86, you will have to remove the LR tire and the inner fender wall, no big deal. There you will see the antennae, remove the connector, i believe it has 3 leads, power, ground and signal (which is controlled via a relay) in the 86 the relay is under the back part of the coupes rear window, need to remove the plastic trim.
you can test with a multimeter (voltmeter) for voltage, at the antennae, or
go right to the relay, sometimes it is easier to go to the ant. the signal lead
from the radio on/off through the relay. will either be 12v,radio off, then go to ground radio on, and of course, the must be 12v & ground to the power leads.
Tom

Having a similar problem

Hi all - this post was very timely as I was getting ready to ask for some help myself. The antenna on my '96 is stuck in the up position. The motor DOES run but only when I turn the stereo on or off, and the antenna doesn't move. Two people have told me the problem is likely the "ribbon" inside that runs the antenna up and down. Does anyone know if just this internal piece can be replaced, and if so is it a do-it-yourself job?

Thanks!

:w Barbie
2ec8b3eb.jpg

Hi all - this post was very timely as I was getting ready to ask for some help myself. The antenna on my '96 is stuck in the up position. The motor DOES run but only when I turn the stereo on or off, and the antenna doesn't move. Two people have told me the problem is likely the "ribbon" inside that runs the antenna up and down. Does anyone know if just this internal piece can be replaced, and if so is it a do-it-yourself job?

Thanks!

2ec8b3eb.jpg
I believe you have to change the entire assembly, but even if you could only change the ribbon, chances are the rest of the antennae is about to deep six, if you are going to go through all that work to pull it out, go with a new one. (IMO)
Tom

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks!

2ec8b3eb.jpg

Barb dontcha just HATE those stuck up antennas! :L

Bill

Antenna

yes you can get a re-build kit, but in the long run probably cheaper and easire to get new antenna. Experience talking here....lol...

Due to several e-mail inquiries, here are the instructions for removing the power antenna motor for service BEFORE installing a new antenna mast on 1992-1996 Corvettes.

Many owners (myself included) have tried in vain to simply install a new antenna ribbon without inspecting the motor first for broken sections of the old one.

The usual result is an antenna that won't fully raise or retract, even though the motor works fine. Hopefully, this tech tip will save you from this aggravation. I'm not familiar with the design for 1984 - 1991 models, but the process should be similar.

I also understand from other Forum members that the antenna motor design apparently changed in 1995 from housings that are screwed together to housings that are glued together. If this is the case, it may be possible to pry the assembly apart for inspection.

Anyway, here goes: The power antenna motor is visible from underneath the vehicle if you lay on your back and look at it from the driver's side of your car.

Please protect your eyes from dirt and other particles that may fall from your fender well while you are working! Some Forum members opted to place their vehicles on jack stands and remove the driver's side rear wheel first, but I have long arms and did not have to do so.

1. Disconnect the negative battery terminal. Note the way the motor is oriented as installation is the exact order of removal. The motor is held in place on its mounting bracket by two screws. Use either a socket wrench with an extension or a screwdriver with a ratchet to remove the bolts.

Note that one of the bolts has a ground/power wire for the antenna.

2. With these two bolts loosened, you will be able to pull the antenna down toward you enough to loosen the antenna gain and positive power wires located at the top of the unit. With all these wires removed, the entire assembly can be pulled down for access while leaving the wire that lead inside the motor housing intact.

3. With the unit now in your hand, roll up the black rubber sleeve that protects the unit from moisture, dirt, etc. There are approximately four Phillips head screws that hold the cover on the motor housing. Remove these screws. Also, remove the center nut that holds the antenna flywheel in place. With the cover off, you will see the flywheel and the main gear that raises and lowers the nylon antenna ribbon. You will also more than likely find bits or long sections of your OLD ribbon. Remove them.

4. Now is the time to lubricate the main gear and flywheel with either Vaseline or white lithium grease to ensure years of trouble-free operation with your new ribbon.

5. Replace the flywheel (noting its direction) and screw the cover back into place. Re-install the antenna, connect all the wiring and hook your battery back up. Turn on the ignition and radio and listen to see if the motor runs. If it does, you are ready to install your new mast. Just follow the directions that came with it and you should be in great shape.

Above all, be patient. It took me about four hours the first time I did this because I thought you had to remove the license plate, tail lamps and back up lamps to get to the motor. You don't!

I could now do the whole thing again in 30 to 40 minutes (but hopefully not on MY LT-1 any time soon!)

Good luck and keep on waving! ------------------ 1992 LT-1 Coupe, Dark Red Metallic on black leather interior, auto, Z-51, FX-3. 109,000 miles, Stock...for now. julianshipp@journalist.com

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom