Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Power Steering Backfit

VAroute66

Corvette
'66 Roadster
I need some advice from any of you who have backfit power steering into their small block midyears. One part of the power steering pump support bracket mounts to the engine at the motor mount. There are three bolts that connect the motor mount to the engine. Say the motor mounts hold 600 lbs total, which would be 300 lbs each side, and about 100 lbs each bolt for the six total. To remove one on one side would leave 150 lbs each for the remaining two on that side. It seems to me, but I am wrong alot, that it should not be a big deal to loosen the one to attach the bracket. Has anyone done this and have any guidance to offer? Am I going to remove that bolt only to find that something shifts, and I cannot get it back in. Thanks.

Dan

I need some advice from any of you who have backfit power steering into their small block midyears. One part of the power steering pump support bracket mounts to the engine at the motor mount. There are three bolts that connect the motor mount to the engine. Say the motor mounts hold 600 lbs total, which would be 300 lbs each side, and about 100 lbs each bolt for the six total. To remove one on one side would leave 150 lbs each for the remaining two on that side. It seems to me, but I am wrong alot, that it should not be a big deal to loosen the one to attach the bracket. Has anyone done this and have any guidance to offer? Am I going to remove that bolt only to find that something shifts, and I cannot get it back in. Thanks.

Dan

Not an issue at all - just remove the upper forward bolt, install the bracket, and re-install the bolt. The bracket goes between the mount and the bolt head, not between the mount and the engine block.

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom