Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Power Steering - bolt on backwards?

macvette

Corvette
1996 Polo Green Coupe, LT1, Auto
Please take a look at this picture!

I was investigating a fluid leak on my 96 LT1 (auto) and found this bolt rubbing against a hose going from the power steering reservoir to the cooler. This picture is taken from the passenger side wheel well looking towards the center of the engine compartment. I believe the bolt is for the steering rack. Did the factory mount this bolt backwards (upside down)? I'm the second owner of this Vette, however I don't think any work was done on the steering rack previously. I'm not sure that the bolt has punctured the hose yet. I still have plenty of fluid in the reservoir. I guess I'll have to remove the hose, reverse the bolt, then put a new hose in. Does any one have any tips for draining and refilling the power steering fluid?

Thanks,
Jim
macvette

T

tvalley641

McVette,

Just checked my '95. The setup is identical and the bolt is mounted as shown in your pic. Thing is, my cooler line is about 1/4" away from the bolt. The hose is straight, not stressed into a curve as yours is. It looks a little bit like my entire cooler is mounted about 1/4-1/2" further away from that bolt. I think I'm going to slip on a small length of anti-abrasion hose just to be safe. Thanks for the observation. You might check to see if that cooler is mounted in there correctly.

Ted

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Partners

Top Bottom