Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Power steering rebuild.

cwerve74

Corvette
1974 454MT red conv
Just finnished the rebuild of the control valve on the power steering. Could not fine one of the torque specs. When you re-assemble the two halfs of the control valve what should be the torque on the two bolts?

Second question: What is the significance to the instruction that has you put the control spring locking washer "camfer side up?" I took that to be the pointed side of the horseshoe washer up.

CW, the chamfer side will have a slight bevel on the inner and outer edges. the truly flat side should go down (or against the surface). chamfer facer the nut.
i was told in Boman Fastners class that the washer is stronger if placed in this manner

ROBIN

Thanks Robin, Looks like I will be opening it up. Good thing it was not on the car yet. 50 - 50 chance it is in right. I didn't even notice that one edge of the washer was square and the other rounded. This will give me another chance to re-torque the two halfs of the power steering valve. I used 30 ft-lbs. Don't know if it is right, just seemed good. You learn something everyday. Thanks again.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom