Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

power to manual steering

400hp_76

Corvette
Black 1976 STINGRAY cpe, T-tops
Would i be better off to replace the pump, control valve, and all the lines or just find a power to manual steering kit. I dont care about having power steering.(little easier,but more weight).

It depends on what you are after.

Are you trying to save weight, or money?

There are many people out there that would gladly trade for your old power equipment in exchange for their standard units.

I have the standard drag link and pitman arm somewhere in my garage. That is all you need to make it go.

I would say money mostly. Weight would be nice also. I do the work myself so factor labor out. what do you think 69mw

That is up to you then.

I think you seriously de-value the car by taking the power stuff out. I also think they are hard to drive without it.

However, a leaky system makes a mess on the driveway, and a poor functioning system is hard to drive.

On the other hand, you can get the system working pretty well for less than $500 if you do yourself (with a rebuilt cylinder from VB&P, and a replacement pump from any local autoparts store).

If you want the non-power stuff, and yours is leaky and sloppy, I will trade you out for what I have, as I am sure many other people will too.

to convert back, all you need is the drag link, and pitman arm that comes off the steering gear box. I would suggest taking a close look at your rag joint, and other tie rod and adjuster sleeves.

69 my way,

Thanks for the info. Goshhhh, i dont know what to do. right now the steering sucks, bad.I really dont mind driving with manual steering. But i am thinkin of selling the vette. so i dont want to decrease the value.....anyways on another note i wanted to ask you 69mw. I would really like to put a manual tranny in. I have hade my fued with autos(700r4) and im back to the th 350 with 4.11s. so yeah no streetablity(well some) how much money would i have to spend to put like a richmond 5 speed(used of course) or some other type of manual. just a reasonable estimate would be fine.. thanks

My guess is upwards of $3,000, and downwards of $1,000.

If you hook up with a fellow like me, I can set you up with a manual flywheel, clutch, pressure place, throw out bearing, fork, new stud, linkage, and springs, and the Z bar, bell housing.

You would have to get a transmission, pedal assembly, mount, and maybe (but I am not sure) different drive shaft.

well if you can set me up with all that then the future looks promising. I am gonna call some companies and then check out the junk yards. as for the d shaft and pedals. i am in good connection with the folks at clutch products and they have helped me with driveshaft woes. the pedals im sure i can find some lokar ones or something of that nature. thanks for your help.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom