Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Power window trouble/need help

blue84

Corvette
1975 Classic White/1984 Medium Blue Metallic Coupe
I redid my interior in my 75 vette and both power windows do not work now. I can't see anything out of the ordinary with the wiring, etc., do you have any suggestions about trouble shooting or advice?

I'm assuming you've checked all the 'simple stuff' -- switches plugged in (and didn't pull out when re-installed the center console); fuse/circuit breaker OK; everything plugged in good and tight.

You might need to dis-assemble the center console again to get at the switches and make sure power is getting to them.

Does anything (slight movement, noise, etc.) happen when hitting the switches? Could it be something mechanical (binding) in the door panels, if you were working in those areas ?

I'd start with the simple stuff first. Got to have power and ground for anything electrical to work.....

Good luck,

There is a Power window relay under the center console just foward of the heater controls, Check for power there.

youll know if it is the fuse cause the tach wont work, if it does check the relay or for binding in the door panels.

Im having the same problem, but only with the driver side window. Its stuck down, so now i cant take the car out and leave it anywhere.

How ironic.... the (almost) exact same thing happened to me, with my '75. I fixed the outer door handle on the passenger side, which entailed taking the door completely apart, only to have both power windows decide to stop working (coincidentally). In my case, I had had the driver's side window stop working (previous to the passenger handle repair) -- twice -- when the wires from the door motor to the cab of the car 'broke' vicinity the conduit between the door and the cab. When those probs had occurred, only the driver's side window stopped working. When both windows stopped working, I knew it was more than just a broken wire from one window to the cab (ala fixing the door handle caused the 'both windows' problem). When I bridged the circuit for the power window relay, the windows worked fine (note: this was only a momentary test), thus identifying the relay as the problem. The circuit for the power windows is relatively simple.... if you don't already have the electrical schematic, let me know, and I'll email it to you....

Frank

Just had my 78 in the shop for the driver window yesterday. The window was acting really strangly... worked, didn't work. We pulled the door panel and removed the motor... checked the motor and found a short. The other thing we found was the metel braket holding the motor to the door had broken. My mechanic said there is a lot of pressure from the motor and the spring and that must have put too much stress (over 25 years) on the bracket. We tack welded the bracket, installed a new motor and off I went... $200 poorer.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom