Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Pre-owned Z06 - What to look/watch for? How many miles is "too many"?

89Z51

Corvette
2008 Z06
As it sounds, this is a "curiosity" question from someone who would eventually like to upgrade his 20+yr old Vette. Economics dictate that only something pre-owned would fall into a price range I would be comfortable with. In addition, I tend to keep my vehicles for many years. So, are there any owners out there who have rolled up significant miles and at what point do the mechanicals start to "need work", given average driving conditions? Are there any particular areas of concern as these vehicles age or are they pretty much like any other C6? My current Vette is driven daily when the weather is good (not in winter, of course), usually between 5K and 10K miles a season and anything I would consider buying must be able to do the same. Any recommendations would be appreciated!

As each generation has come along they have tried to make them better and longer lasting....there are some C5's out there with a lot of miles still going strong. The C6 especially from 08 on may be some of the best all around Corvettes ever. I am not running down the earlier C6's, only that as is usual changes and improvements were made as the generation moves forward including the LS3 engine. The LS engine if care for will go almost forever. All these later cars are electronic marvels and time will tell how those systems hold up....hopefully well.

What are you going to use the car for and how much you want to spend? Cruising, touring, autoX occasionally, $30K, 50K?. I just sold my 90K C5 and started looking for a C6. I wanted an 08 something for around 35K....I wanted the HUD and a Z51 and some other stuff and not over 25K for milage. Most of what I saw was base body Coupes for around 40 to 41K but none of them really got me interested. Then I saw a Z06 online that looked great but they wanted 47,500 I think. It had 21K milage. I called and told them to put a verbal hold on the car for 24 hours. I called a guy I know who lived in that area to go look at the car and tell me what he thought. That evening I got to thinking what I really wanted to use the car for. My answer was touring and not much if any competition. A Z06 then would be overkill for what I need it for and although 505 hp speaks to me I knew in the long run it would not answer. So called the dealer and thanked him and backed out.

Went back to looking....and that is when I got interested in the Grand Sports. All the bad ass looks of the Z06 and even some improvements but with an A6 or a convertible if wanted and plenty of horsepower for this old guy.....I had to look for a 2010 because of money and it would have 20 to 25K for milage. I wanted a coupe and a 6M because I wanted the side oiler engine that is hand built along with the LS7's and LS9's. I mean why not? It's a poor mans Z06.

Found just the car I was looking for and bought it for $44,700 with 20,500 miles and it is beautiful in every way. So I bought a 10 over an 08 and paid 3K less. It is not a Z06 but I can take the roof off on a nice day if I want and that is good for me........I think these Grand Sports are going to hold up well dollar wise also because they will only have made the C6 version for 4 years and in my book they are the best deal out there at this time. Good luck I hope you find what you want.....

Thanks for the reply. No argument a Z06 would be overkill for most (all?) of my driving, but is there such a thing as too much HP? I certainly hear the sensible argument about buying something a couple years newer and a bit less extreme, but Z51's similar to my current Vette are difficult to find and most GS's are still so close to new that they are out of my price range. Even base Vettes I see are pushing close to $40K if they are newer than '09. If I have to go that far to get into a C6, why not the extra few thousand to go "all the way" so to speak. That is, unless there are some mechanical or longevity reasons not to. I don't want to buy a "weekend track toy" that can occasionally be street driven, nor something that requires frequent and expensive service once the miles start to pile up. Keep the suggestions/comments coming!

If you have the resources, don't short yourself. Do the Z06. I bought an '07 coupe in '07 and traded it in after 6 months for an '07 Z06. Although I'm not a racer, there's something about the Z06. It's a totally different corvette experience!

A Z is like any other car, it's condition depends on use and care. Wear items are the same as any Vette. I'd say the clutch is one item I'd pay close attention to. If the clutch is good, and it hasn't been modified with headers, etc, I'd say you are good to go! assuming nothing pops up on a close inspection. At the end of the day, they are pretty bulletproof.

A friends daughter ran across an 07 (IIRC) Z06 and bought it for less than $12k. It had 120,000 miles on it, all highway. And had had regular maintenance done on it, never abused. She was tickled and got a nice car.

A friends daughter ran across an 07 (IIRC) Z06 and bought it for less than $12k. It had 120,000 miles on it, all highway. And had had regular maintenance done on it, never abused. She was tickled and got a nice car.

Wow, that's the cheapest (not wrecked/or parted out) C6 Z06 I have EVER come across.

OP, what year do you seek? What's your budget?

Understand the the 'Z' model platrform (of sixth gen Vette-Z06/ZR1) are different....it's begins with the chassis and moves up what differences are. The chassis of the 'Z models are lighter than the steel framed chassis of the regular models. The Z models are aluminum w/carbon fiber body parts, more power....the closest production car that car that can hang with one on a road course cost DOUBLE what these cars do. And again, remember I stated production cars, meaning non-modified.

I can say that I had a C6 Vert w/Z51/NPP/LS3/MN6 (new '09) and kept less than a year and parted w/it for the Z06, which deep down was what I wanted to begin with. I just could not come to terms of pricing. So one dayt I said frek it, called the ONLY dealer in Texas who even had a 2010 Z06 at the time. (they only built 518 2010 'Z's.) There were new '09 Z06's everywhere at the time, but decided I wanted newest available.

If your seeking powerfully fast cars, make no doubt, C6 offers it. It's all in a matter to what degree you seek.....

And nope, in terms of "production Horsepower", more is always good :lol:

I traded my 98 coupe iron LS 1 w/ magnuson and 3.73 gear for a wrecked Ron Fellows Z with 1,750 miles. Took 9 months in the end i would do it again in a heart beat. Love the white Z and the LS7 is a dream on the street. Be careful be smart you can get one. Owned 1964 and up. The C6 Z is the best Vette ever.

Used Z06 or Other??

As it sounds, this is a "curiosity" question from someone who would eventually like to upgrade his 20+yr old Vette. Economics dictate that only something pre-owned would fall into a price range I would be comfortable with. In addition, I tend to keep my vehicles for many years. So, are there any owners out there who have rolled up significant miles and at what point do the mechanicals start to "need work", given average driving conditions? Are there any particular areas of concern as these vehicles age or are they pretty much like any other C6? My current Vette is driven daily when the weather is good (not in winter, of course), usually between 5K and 10K miles a season and anything I would consider buying must be able to do the same. Any recommendations would be appreciated!

I don't know if you've moved on this idea, yet. Back when I was considering what kind of Corvette to buy, I nearly went for a Z51, until I realized the cost of upgrades I would have wanted moved the price too close to a Z06. If you enjoy driving, then go for the Z06. It's lighter weight and the LS7 is a delight every time you start it.

I got a good price on a new 2008 Z06 and have never looked back. In 4 years of ownership, all I've had to have done is an oil check and a check-up. That's 14,000 miles of bulletproof ownership. You won't regret buying a Z06. Ever.

Z06

I don't know if you've moved on this idea, yet. Back when I was considering what kind of Corvette to buy, I nearly went for a Z51, until I realized the cost of upgrades I would have wanted moved the price too close to a Z06. If you enjoy driving, then go for the Z06. It's lighter weight and the LS7 is a delight every time you start it.

I got a good price on a new 2008 Z06 and have never looked back. In 4 years of ownership, all I've had to have done is an oil check and a check-up. That's 14,000 miles of bulletproof ownership. You won't regret buying a Z06. Ever.

No movement yet. To a certain degree, I was waiting to see what effect the "grand unveiling" might have on the market. Being in the northern reaches of the country, my daily driver now has 4wd and my Vette is tucked away in the back corner of my garage until spring anyway. I do appreciate the suggestions, though!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom