Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Preparing vette for long distance transport

Bagoftrix

Corvette
1990 Bright red coupe
I'm looking for any advice I can get that might help make transporting the vette on an open trailer as painless as possible on both me and the car. I'm going to be moving the vette from California to Utah during snow and salt season. I tried to get it on an enclosed trailer, but one wouldn't be available in the time I'd need it. Any advice on how to keep the road salt off as much as possible would be great. That's my biggest concern. The car has never seen salt and rarely seen rain. I plan on having it fully detailed once it gets there and garaged.

I'm looking for any advice I can get that might help make transporting the vette on an open trailer as painless as possible on both me and the car. I'm going to be moving the vette from California to Utah during snow and salt season. I tried to get it on an enclosed trailer, but one wouldn't be available in the time I'd need it. Any advice on how to keep the road salt off as much as possible would be great. That's my biggest concern. The car has never seen salt and rarely seen rain. I plan on having it fully detailed once it gets there and garaged.
The only time I trailered my '93 was to get it from NW PA to Maryland by DC. It was spring, and the weather was OK but there was some rain and ice, IIRC. I used a standard UHaul open trailer. I had no issues whatsoever. I ran the thing through the car wash and had it detailed within a day or two of our arrival. Actually, the trickiest part of the whole evolution was loading the car on the trailer. I was glad that the friend / mechanic who had worked on the car for my dad shared the "trick" of getting the ramps as close to parallel with the trailer as possible and thus avoiding damage to the nose of the car. To load and unload I parked with the trailer uphill of my truck. I had almost as straight shot on and off the trailer.

Best,
jerry

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Get an outdoor car cover and attach it tightly to the car.

Make sure you load the trailer such that it has the proper tongue weight.

What are you towing with?

Lastly, CA to UT is not really that long a distance.

I'm transporting it by semi car hauler. I requested that the vette be places on top and behind the lead car so that car can be used as a barrier for flying debris. Thank you for the link to the car wrap. I've been trying to find a wrap. My car cover I don't believe I can get it taunt enough to avoid having it beat the car.

Get an outdoor car cover and attach it tightly to the car.

Make sure you load the trailer such that it has the proper tongue weight.

What are you towing with?

Lastly, CA to UT is not really that long a distance.

Hey Hib,

I may be wrong but I heard a lot about covers and not to use them when transporting a car. I guess the main reason is the cover moves at all it's wear and tear on the finish. I've transported on an open trailer a few times and never covered it. I don't think in my opinion a little weather is going to hurt this car. If it's going to be detailed before it's put away it should be just fine. I washed mine and made sure the under carriage was rinsed with plenty of fresh water. Again it's only what I heard and it made sense to me.

Would that industrial size plastic wrap work??? I was thinking of putting one layer around the hood and one layer around the Targa top. I worry though about moisture getting trapped. Am I being to paranoid? It is just 800 miles and one day on the carrier. Just don't want to find a stain in the paint from someone else's car dripping fluid on my hood because the carrier service decided to put my baby on the bottom under someone's neglected daily driver.I want to go get the car wrapped properly, but then it's another 300 dollars to have the vinyl removed.

Would I wrap mine ? Yes. Im class 8 tractor/trailer mechanic for a LTL carrier. The Co also does warehousing,so I have experience with the plastic cling wrap,have a few roll's at home I use for various things. $300 to take it off sounds a tad expensive. How much more for a enclosed trailer?

600 more for an enclosed trailer. I'll go pick up some wrap today. I park my semi at a warehouse that have rolls sitting out on the dock.

When I worked for National Freight we had a couple satellite terminals in Ca.Corporate in Vineland NJ,but that was about 30 years back.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom