Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

[Press] PROTEAM LANDS RARE 1963 CORVETTE

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

McCullough Public Relations
shari@mcculloughpr.com

PROTEAM LANDS RARE 1963 CORVETTE

NAPOLEON, OH - ProTeam Corvette, boasting the world's largest inventory of
classic Corvettes, has added a new jewel to its already impressive collection.
At a recent Mecum Auction in St. Charles, Ill., ProTeam secured a 1963 Corvette
Split Window featuring the rare option combination of air conditioning and a
36-gallon fuel tank.

According to Mecum Collector Car Auctioneers, the vehicle is one of only two
such '63 Corvettes known to exist. Landing the extraordinary automobile was no
ordinary feat, but ProTeam prevailed with a $210,000 bid, including buyer
premium.

"This is a truly significant car. We're very excited to acquire such an unusual
and distinctive milestone," said Terry L. Michaelis, president, ProTeam.

ProTeam's treasure is one of only 278 factory air-conditioned Corvettes produced
in 1963 -- the first year for air conditioning. The option code NO3 36-gallon
fuel tank was first made available in 1963 Corvettes and was offered for the
next four years (through 1967). Sixty-three 1963 Corvettes were produced with
the N03 tank. Purchasing a "big tank" Corvette typically required the approval
of General Motors executives and was an opportunity that was limited to Corvette
racers. Consequently, the big tanks are seldom found on cars that do not also
feature the Z06 or race package options.*

More than 21,000 Corvettes were produced in 1963, and the union of these two
rarities occurred but twice, making the ProTeam Corvette a testament to
improbability. Fortunately, locating the vehicle was not such an unlikely
proposition.

"I had known the owner of this car as long as the vehicle had been in Texas.
His seller was a good friend of mine, too," explained Michaelis.

In fact, the Corvette had been in the owner's care for the past 30 years - one
reason the history of the '63 Corvette is so well-known. In addition to the
vehicle itself, ProTeam acquired a copy of the original title, license
registration dating to 1980, dealer delivery packet with '63 owner protection
plan, original operating instructions for the air conditioner and AM/FM radio,
and the original keys on the delivering dealer key chain.

Besides its unique options combination, the Vette also features a 327-cubic
inch/250-horsepower V8 engine, automatic transmission, power steering, power
brakes, power windows, tinted glass, original Kelsey cast aluminum knock-off
wheels and the original non-D.O.T. tires. It has bucket seats with a red
interior and Riverside Red exterior paint.

ProTeam Classic Corvette Collection and Sales, based in Napoleon, Ohio,
showcases the largest inventory of classic Corvettes in the world. More than
$10 million worth of Corvettes are displayed in 60,000 sq. ft. of showrooms and
restoration facilities with nearly 200 classic Corvettes on display. In
addition, ProTeam offers more than 10,000 sq. ft. of used, new and hard-to-find
parts.

For additional information, contact ProTeam at P.O. Box 606, Napoleon, Ohio
43545, call 1.888.592.5086 or visit www.proteamcorvette.com.

# # #

* - Information courtesy of "Unique Collection - Rare Collector" by Jeremy
Jenkins; Corvette Fever Magazine; September 1999

Rob, I purchased my 67 from Proteam. Your rite about the # of cars that Michaelis has. 3 or 4 separate warehouses store the C1s,C2s,and so on. Quite a site to see.They are a bit pricey I think but definetely a 1 stop shop,and only a 30 minute drive.Makes a nice weekend drive for someone who hasent visited Napoleon,Ohio Jim

Rob said:
Besides its unique options combination, the Vette also features a 327-cubic
brakes, power windows, tinted glass, original Kelsey cast aluminum knock-off
wheels and the original non-D.O.T. tires. It has bucket seats with a red
interior and Riverside Red exterior paint.

This is the car mentioned in Noland's book in the 1963 N03 section; rare doesn't always equal desirable, but this one certainly is "rare".
:beer

it all depends on ow deep your pockes are when we were doing Cruise-fest 1 Pro Team was contacted by a couple of members of the commitee but declined to respond.

"Besides its unique options combination, the Vette also features a 327-cubic
brakes, power windows, tinted glass, original Kelsey cast aluminum knock-off wheels and the original non-D.O.T. tires. It has bucket seats with a red
interior and Riverside Red exterior paint."

While researching 1963 Corvettes, it was my understanding that no 1963 left the factory with knock-off wheels except for the possibility of a couple GM show cars, all Knock-offs were 1964 dealer over counter sales.

Am I wrong!

Ray

Who would want this car? :confused Small HP engine and a 36 gallon fuel tank with A/C to keep the fuel cool? :D I started to order a 63 FI coupe with the 36 gallon tank and then changed my mind about having all that fuel inside the car with me. I may be a crazy fool to drive gas and fuel altereds, but i`m not stupid either. That car would have been a potential bomb as I think all the 36 gallon cars would be. Pro Team`s information also states K-O aluminum wheels, I dont think any 63 was delivered with them as I tried to order that option too.:upthumbs

DAMN! I thought I was old! I was only 7 in '63!:)
It's an automatic too.....and this was supposed to be a racer?

JJS said:
DAMN! I thought I was old! I was only 7 in '63!:)
It's an automatic too.....and this was supposed to be a racer?

No. I think it was a car originally purchased for the purpose of traveling great distances in a wide open state like Texas in comfort.

Tom

Right on

What I will retain from this post, are JohnZ's wise words " rare doesn't always equal desirable " , and that is something that a lot of people have not as yet realized.

There are a lot of Corvettes with basic options missing, not to mention some with options such as drum brakes on a 1965, that are downright " undesirable ", and owners or potential owners, actually embrace these cars because of the lesser number that was produced. :crazy It is my belief that the only Corvettes that don't need, or deserve a radio, are race cars or big block's with side pipes.

If this keeps up, one day not to long from now, someone is going to turn up with an " engine delete " Corvette. I would also be ready to place a bet that this would be another one, that sooner or later will turn up at Pro-Team's. ;squint:

I also have an opinion on the big tanks Corvettes.

How many of you would like to find themselves in a small confined space, such as the interior of a mid-year Corvette, share this same space with your other half, and into the mix, throw in no less then 36 gallons of gasoline sloshing around.

Then, stake your life on the fact that no " licence bearing individual " notice I didn't use the term Driver " will not do some type of idiot manoeuvrer that would put your life in jeopardy.

I must say this is would not be one of my favourite pass-times. I would rather pay for the rare option " EMT-16 " which is the exterior mounted 16 gallon gas tank " if there were one on the order sheet. ;LOL

Stepinwolf

Step
when i started to learn about Vette and Midyears i remember thinking the first time i ever heard of the big tank option thinking the identicle thoughts that you just expressed. The idea of a large gas tank inches away from me on the INSIDE of the car didn't seem very comforting. As I understood more and realized it was mainly for racing purposes I understtod the use better but still was never comfortable with the idea.
As you mentioned, John's statement "rare is not always desirable" is so true.
i know the big tank cars are rare and they are desireable from a collectors view, but personally i'd rather not be driving around in one myself.......

another way to say it

Barry, could we change your " personally i'd rather not be driving around in one myself " to, I definately would not be driving one myself. ! :nono

Stepinwolf

stepinwolf said:
How many of you would like to find themselves in a small confined space, such as the interior of a mid-year Corvette, share this same space with your other half, and into the mix, throw in no less then 36 gallons of gasoline sloshing around.

Stepinwolf

Just like driving a '72 or older pickup truck with the tank behind the driver's seat.

Can you imagine a '63 coupe with the 250 hp, 3 speed, heater delete, no radio, 3.08 non-posi, with only one option; the big tank? Super rare but who would want it? Other than bore and stroke the 250 used all of the 283 components. The 300 performed much better and would pull down 2-3 mpg better mileage while doing it. Plus you got an AFB instead of that lame Rochester 4 Jet. I never could figure out why anyone would buy the 250. You would think that someone buying a new Corvette could afford $53.80 for the better engine.

stepinwolf said:
Barry, could we change your " personally i'd rather not be driving around in one myself " to, I definately would not be driving one myself. ! :nono

Stepinwolf

word it as you wish Step, i'll not be driving it anyway!
;LOL

Tom Bryant said:
You would think that someone buying a new Corvette could afford $53.80 for the better engine.

Oh I don't know, Tom. $53.80 was big money in '63. ;)

I went all the way and spent $15.80 (actually $16.80 here in Canada) for tinted glass in '67. But, some people decided to save $5.25 and they settled for a tinted windshield only. Some saved the full $15.80 and got no tint. :crazy

;LOL

Tom Bryant said:
The 300 performed much better and would pull down 2-3 mpg better mileage while doing it. Plus you got an AFB instead of that lame Rochester 4 Jet.

Yup, the 300hp was well worth the fifty bucks (the 250hp used a Carter WCFB - the Rochester 4-Jet was only used on passenger cars). :)

61 Silver said:
"Besides its unique options combination, the Vette also features a 327-cubic
brakes, power windows, tinted glass, original Kelsey cast aluminum knock-off wheels and the original non-D.O.T. tires. It has bucket seats with a red
interior and Riverside Red exterior paint."

While researching 1963 Corvettes, it was my understanding that no 1963 left the factory with knock-off wheels except for the possibility of a couple GM show cars, all Knock-offs were 1964 dealer over counter sales.

Am I wrong!

Ray

Nope, you're right - no 63's left the plant for retail sale with KO wheels. :)

JohnZ said:
Nope, you're right - no 63's left the plant for retail sale with KO wheels. :)
i was into corvette back in the 60s and i never saw a set of aluminum wheels on any corvette back then. now every mid year i see for sale has them on. :L

Very true. I only knew one car that had them. It was a '65 silver fuelie coupe. In the '70s a lot of guys put them on but nice sets could be had for $150. But then a good running FI unit was $150. also.

Tom

JohnZ said:
Yup, the 300hp was well worth the fifty bucks (the 250hp used a Carter WCFB - the Rochester 4-Jet was only used on passenger cars). :)

Thanks for the correction John. My sole 250 experience was a '64 Impala sport coupe.

That car seems to make sense to me as noted by Tom Bryant re Texas. A long cruising range in relative comfort with power accessories and A/C. I have never read that the Corvette was in the same fuel flash zone as a Ford Pinto.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom