Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Price help on 86 convertible

a1fla

Corvette
1986 Convertible, 1991 Red Coupe
I am considering buying my first corvette and need some opinions..It is a white 1986 convertible with 84,000 miles. power seats, power windows, white top, red leather interior, overall condition is good to very good. Everything is in working order. Is $8,100 a good deal. Thanks for the advice. To view go to:

http://cm.ebay.com/cm/ck/1065-29392-2357-0?uid=6121277&site=0&ver=EOIBSA080805&lk=URL&Item=4570580057

Any advice is greatly appreciated, also I plan on having an Ebay inspection company SGS give me a report. Anyone use them before?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4570580057&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:US:1

First of all, Welcome to :CAC Once you get your first vette you will find this forum a wealth of knowledge with plenty of friendly people to help. I dont have much knowledge of C4's and I'm sure someone will chime in shortly. Good Luck

:beer

i have a 86 with just about the same mileage. but needed some TLC but the price was good so i jumped on it, about half of yours for a coupe. i don't think thats a bad price if it dosen't need much of anything. is it close were you can test drive before you buy? do you know how to work on it yourself? last month corvette mag just did a price deal on C4 and it all has to do with condition. is it a Z51? i can't open link? dash works o.k.? bose radio? i think all the converts had aluminum heads for the first time that year gives 5 more horses. good luck. are they the owners or just salesman? if owner ask whats been done to it lately.

thanks for the response, it is an exotic car dealer in Miami, can't test drive, but inspector will, all instrumentation in working order. What I found out so far, no oil leaks, no tran fluid leaks, newer tires, no aftermarket mods.

have the inpsector look at all the wheel bearings, all u-joints on drive and half shafts.

It looks like a nice car but I'd be concerned that the seller included zero engine pictures and very few interior shots. By all means have it inspected and thoroughly checked out. Good luck.:beer

yes, I agree no pics of the seats just the dash, as for the engine compartment I don't know why, however the inspection should reveal problems under the hood. oil leaks , bad hoses, belts etc.. I hope... what do you think of the price if all is ok?

Yes, do you think the price is fair?

Well, it looks better than mine. I paid $5500.00 for a 92 vert with a blown tranny, and shot paint. If everything is good with yours I think you got a good deal. Just please remove that steering wheel cover. Corvette America, or Ecklers sells a better one. Then read everything you can on this site and others like it. It will save you a lot of time and money.

a1fla said:
I am considering buying my first corvette and need some opinions..It is a white 1986 convertible with 84,000 miles. power seats, power windows, white top, red leather interior, overall condition is good to very good. Everything is in working order. Is $8,100 a good deal. Thanks for the advice. To view go to:

http://cm.ebay.com/cm/ck/1065-29392-2357-0?uid=6121277&site=0&ver=EOIBSA080805&lk=URL&Item=4570580057

Any advice is greatly appreciated, also I plan on having an Ebay inspection company SGS give me a report. Anyone use them before?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4570580057&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:US:1

A quick not about the odometer in early C4s. The odometers have an antitamper which leads to having white lines appear between the numbers when someone tries to roll it back.

Looking at the picture of the odometer you can clearly see the line between the 8 and 4 between and part of the line for the 100k mile digit.

Stu,
so you think it may have been rolled back because of the lines, I am going to check the car fax again to see if ther history makes sense I will post lbelow let me know what you think or any other advice

Your Vehicle Checks Out! For this 1986 Chevrolet Corvette (1G1YY678XG5900873) no indication of an odometer rollback or tampering was found. We determine odometer rollbacks by searching for records that indicate odometer reading that are less than a previously reported value. Other odometer events can report events of tampering, or possible odometer breakage.

Report Date: 08/31/2005
Date Reported Odometer Reading
02/15/2002 70,247
04/19/2005 84,105
05/18/2005 84,194

Mfi,

thanks for the info, yea I agree tacky walmart steering wheel cover!

a1fla said:
Stu,
so you think it may have been rolled back because of the lines, I am going to check the car fax again to see if ther history makes sense I will post lbelow let me know what you think or any other advice

Your Vehicle Checks Out! For this 1986 Chevrolet Corvette (1G1YY678XG5900873) no indication of an odometer rollback or tampering was found. We determine odometer rollbacks by searching for records that indicate odometer reading that are less than a previously reported value. Other odometer events can report events of tampering, or possible odometer breakage.

Report Date: 08/31/2005
Date Reported Odometer Reading
02/15/2002 70,247
04/19/2005 84,105
05/18/2005 84,194

Looking at the picture, I would say that someone has definatly messed with the odometer. They were just careful/smart enough to not get too greedy and cause a problem with CarFax.

CarFax is a nice tool to have but is not always right. As an example, my 01 Blazer got clobbered and took well over $10k to fix. The CarFax report shows it as never having been in an accident.

I had been looking at quite a few C4's in the suburban Chicago area and saw alot of cars that looked very worn but only showed 35-45k miles. In all cases I could see that they were rolled back.

:) Hello and welcome to the Corvette Action Center....Congrats on the Vette.....Enjoy !!

What year C4 should I avoid, which years have the best track record?

I might be out of line here, but did that lady in the pics come with the car.;)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom