Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Problem with radio reception ?

O

Oakboc

I have a brand new 2005 Victory red vette with a terrible problem. My radio when in radio mode does not pick up local stations and when it does they have a terrible static in the backround. This seems to be an itermitant problem, yesterday when it was doing it, I happened to open the drivers door and the stations came in clear ??? I took it back to the dealer and they didn't seem to have a clue as to where to start to look for the antenna hookups. I dont want to be the first experiment. I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem.
I have the upgraded system with Navigation ans XM Sattilite which by the way works perfect.

Thanks,

BOC

I am by no means an electrical engineer or anything. In fact I know very little about electronics, but it sounds like I would start with the antenna connection. On my C5 the antenna is in the winshield, and the connector is right behind the rear view mirror. If yours is the same set up on the C6, maybe thats lose?? Or the one on the back of the radio.

Also, you gave a great description except for one thing: is this happening with AM or FM or both???

Good luck with the radio situation. I hope you get it corrected soon. If not, at least I'll reconize you Oakboc, when I see you. Your the guy driving down the road with his door open!!!:L

Alot of people seem to be having this problem. The fix for now is to switch from FM to AM and back, that seems to clear the problem until GM comes up with a real fix.

The antennas and communications interface modules are at the very back of the car.

Electronic nightmare

I've had nothing but problems with the electronics on my C6. The radio will spontaneously shut off or switch to another band. The other day Xm disappeared off the screen entirely. Interestingly enough, when I shut down the car and open and close the door, the system will reset itself. That is until two weeks ago when the whole system failed including the doors air conditioning, the windows, and the dashboard system monitoring. The battery is fully charged and the system has been flashed. The dealer doesn't know what the problem is and there is no fix insight. Right now I'm driving a crapper rental Impala. Thanks alot GM

If I was you I would start a case with the GM arbitrators, there is a hotline phone number in the back of the owners manual. I had a 94 and had nothing but problems with it and they were great , they took the car back and replaced it with a new one. I hope my problem is just a small one . I feel for you, I would be sick....

Andy, Id throw the keys at the salesperson and demand a new car or my money back. There is a nice way to do it and be successful. I did this myself and it worked without using my skills as an attorney. Let me know if you need help. Good luck!

Not to snipe donzi, but its "you`re" and not "your"!!!! BTW, this is MY opinion which I am entitled to. I understand NOW that GM has sent a service bulletin to its dealers on this subject. There is still no fix but at least they are acknowledging it. Name calling really is not necessary.

HI there,
What I would suggest is when this occurs, please change your BAND from FM to AM and then back again.
Does the static go away??
If so, let us know.
Allthebest, c4c5:hb

GM can't get anything right!! So I am not surprised to hear your problems with the radio, just waiting for the next thing to go wrong. Our old 96 was twice the car as far as repairs, none vs many. Go figure.
I am so mad right now that if I had to do it over again I would have bought the Mercedes!! Lame parts from GM, and idiot of a GM rep are just a few of my gripes. 3 new headlights all with junk floating around in them (still waiting for a good one), chrome wheels that are splotchy, (they don't know why) nor have they made a move to replace them. Finally filed an arbitration complaint! IT IS NO WONDER THAT GM IS GOING BANKRUPT!!

magster, my 96 was PERFECT as well!! The 2000 is great as well and the C6? Only time will tell. Dont forget that GM has subs that supply parts to them. The radio is one of those parts. There may be an integration problem wit the car or the radios may be at fault. Either way, their public relations STINK and the funniest thing Ive read as a fix is to change the band from AM to FM and then back again! Im laughing so hard I could sue!!!!!!!!!

I laughing right with you. Who knows, get enough of us complaining and and your last comment may be a good one. Wonder what that would do to future sales? :) I am giving them a week to come up with a solution and my problems should be a slam dunk compared to the radio issue.
Their excuse to us was that do not manufacture the headlights either. DO WE CARE who makes them NO, just get us one that is useful! :) In other words NOT MY PROBLEM!! Just fix it!

Radio Volume Problem

Anyone else having a "volume" issue with Nav/XM Radio? Starting with XM, going to FM, then going to AM, there is an annoying volume INCREASE. Dealer agrees, but says factory claims it ot be a software issue for which there is no fix to date.

Also having a problem

I am also having a problem with the radio reception. Sometimes it is good, sometimes not so good.

Ultimately, they are responsible AND liable for the entire car! This is a desirable car and there will always be a market for it. Hopefully, the 2006 will not suffer as much.

My radio's working, but can't say the same for the gas gauge sending unit - been two weeks now since it failed. Dealer says the sending unit is on back order, no one from GM will respond. I've had the car back to the dealer three times in three months - twice for a leak in the rear storage area, and once (so far) for the sending unit problem. Those of you with C6's should check the left rear storage compartment for moisture after you wash the car. Feel the bottom of the compartment.

I have a feeling that Chevy rushed the engineering on this model a bit too much.

-Bernie

Bernie, a number of C5s had sending unit problems based on the dual tanks. Has anyone said anything about what might be wrong with the C6?

No - the dealer ran diagnostics, and said there was a fault code which indicated a bad sending unit. No other details. I've since called a couple of times to check on the part arrival, and he assures me there's no trouble with the pump, just the sending unit.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom