Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Proper Thermostat for 1980

S

sac001

Does anyone know what the proper temp thermostat for a 1980 L48 is?

When I bought it a year ago, it had a 180 installed. I brought it to a local Vette shop who replaced it with a 200 saying that 180 was too cold for that year with all the emissions stuff. (Which at the time was being reinstalled, another story.)

The car pretty much stays pegged at 200 unless I'm playing in the hills, but I wonder if it's running a bit warm.

Steve :w

I'm running 200 deg. on the 82 with a 180 stat and a new radiator. I would think a 200 stat is high for the car. In any case running at 200 deg. is well within limits.

When I first got my 80, it was always about 180°. Then when it went south, my mechanic replaced it with a 200° thermostat. Car's been fine ever since.

The car runs like a champ, I was just a little concerned about the proper temperature after reading all the problems I've seen posted here with operating temps.

For now I'll leave well enough alone, although I'm thinking about adding the L82 electric fan system as a backup. Does anyone have experience with this, or is there a better (read aftermarket) way?

By the way, thanks for all the feedback guys. :D

Flex Fan

I'm running a flex fan in place of the older and heavier clutch fan. it works fine. Just don't cut yourself up on it :D

You can see a pic of it (kinda) in my little scrap book I set up last night.

http://photos.yahoo.com/thethingsido

Boy that paint job is SHARP! :upthumbs

Did you put Chrome rocker covers on? Glass Tops or painted? How about the Rear bumper seam, did you fill it or was it tight?

Oh yeah, I saw the flex fan too, looks good under the hood. Be careful with the Chrome Air Cleaner though, I'v seen them reflect enough when the hood is left open to bubble the paint on the hood!

My paint is about shot, the clearcoat seems to have worn off the right front fender. I can't wait to find out what it'll cost to get a paint job like yours!

Check the calendar car message thread

Go to the main page, then scroll down until you see the write up for the calendar car this month. There is an icon that'll take you to the thread which I talk about the paint job.

As for the chrome covers, yes, I put those on. The ZZ4 ships with flat black (blah!). I got the covers in the excess parts bin at Summit for a steal. The rear bumper was an OEM urethane from Corvette Central (or was it Ecklers?). Either way, I tried a Tru-flex bumper first, but it just didn't cinch up correctly. It was about a 1/4" off on one side... Whomever I ordered from gave me crap about returining it saying that I was just installing it wrong. Whatever... the OEM matched up perfectly, as you noticed! And being that almost all paints nowadays are urethane based, I didn't have much to worry about paint flaking from bumper flex.

And glass tops...of course!

I just saw the other thread and gulp!

At least you got as near perfection as possible! :upthumbs

I like the Blue/Silver idea though...

GM uses the insanely high stats for emissions reasons.

It's better to run lower, around 180 but it might have a negative impact on your emissions.

Marck

Don't know if that was directed at me, but I wouldn't mind having it back down at 180°, as I was lucky enough to be granted an exemption from emissions here in Ohio. But 180-200° is still normal operating temp. And at WOT for a given duration, I believe the temps would still rise to the same point...

Yeah, mine failed emissions here in VA as well. Even after the Carb was rebuilt it failed at idle, at 2500RPM it was well within limits though. Luckily once you waste $250 here trying to pass emissions they give you a pass until next time.

Maybe I'll drop a 180 or 190 Thermostat in for the summer and see what happens...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom