Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Puff of Blue Exhaust

Phil

Corvette
2003 Torch Red Z06
I am a new vette owner (87 Coupe) and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I have also enjoyed the dialog on CAC.

One issue that concerns me about my vette is after a cold start a puff of blue exhaust is produced. If doesn't happen after a warm start or while the car is running. I run premium fuel and don't apply any pressure to the gas pedal when starting it. Any suggestions?

Phil

My only guess is when a car sits for awhile oil may slightly leak pass the O-rings. Once you start the car the oil is burned off for
the first 5 to 30 seconds. I am new at this too. This is only my guess.

not a biggie, yet

This was recently discussed elsewhere on the forum A search may reveal more 'poop'.

You are likely seeing the burning of a small amount of oil which seeps into the combustion chamber(s) when the car sits for a long time. As the valve seals harden, with miles and age, this is normal. You could have them replaced, but until you really see some lengthy burning, and/or plug fouling it's not worth the expense.

The job can be done without pulling the heads off the car.

Wait until you need a valve job.
:w mike:v

Not to Worry

Phil,

Mike is 100% correct about the valve seals. This is a common, almost normal, characteristic of 350 Chevy engines throughout the 70's and 80's. Once they got past 50K miles they would start leaking a tiny amount of oil into the combustion chambers after they sit for a number of hours - commonly overnight.

Remo
:cool

this is common all the way up to the current model Corvette.... is something wrong with your car? technically yes.... but, on the flip side it is practically normal, and I wouldn't worry about it at all.

;stupid
Yup, valve seals

What is everybody using for valve seals. Are the GM replacements prone to drying up and leaking after another 50,000 miles or are there better aftermarket seals available? I'd like to replace mine this upcoming winter, I'm looking for the best replacement valve seals that do not require modifying or machining the head.

Stick with the factory style.

I would just live with the "puff". Mine does that on ocassion too. I never move the oil on the dip stick. I am using Mobil One and that seems to have reduced the problem.

Hope that helps, if nothing else.........moral support.

Radar :beer

Mine also puffs when I first start it up in the morning, but not always. I'm on the borderline also about going through all the work of changing the valve seals, maybe I'll just live with it. I only have to add a 1/2 qt of oil about every 2000 miles, so I definitely don't burn enough to warrant changing the valve seals. I will be putting in a set of roller rockers next winter and will most likely change the seals then while I have the covers and rockers off.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom