Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Purpose of the power valve on manual steering

jims427400

Corvette
67 427 tripower,68 427 tripower,04 Z16, 62 340hp
I'm rebuilding the complete manual steering and front suspension on my 68 BB. All new tie rod ends,bushings and A-arms, but then I'm looking at the power valve (all greasy and looking 45yrs old. Seal is bad and metal case around it bent up. Took it apart and springs look good, 2 sockets have minimal wear and the ball stud has wear.
2 questions
-going to replace ball stud,rubber seal and cage(does anything else go bad? Springs and sockets look ok..
-What does this power valve do anyway?? Is it supposed to provide play in the steering the way it angulates in the sockets?
Guess that's 3 questions..
Thanks all,
Jim

I'm rebuilding the complete manual steering and front suspension on my 68 BB. All new tie rod ends,bushings and A-arms, but then I'm looking at the power valve (all greasy and looking 45yrs old. Seal is bad and metal case around it bent up. Took it apart and springs look good, 2 sockets have minimal wear and the ball stud has wear.
2 questions
-going to replace ball stud,rubber seal and cage(does anything else go bad? Springs and sockets look ok..
-What does this power valve do anyway?? Is it supposed to provide play in the steering the way it angulates in the sockets?
Guess that's 3 questions..
Thanks all,
Jim

Jim
That is the ball stud in the manual center link. It is an often overlooked part but it's a good idea to do what you're doing and check it. The end of the ball will wear or sometimes the springs break. The boots get ripped when a pickle fork is used to separate the pitman arm of the steering box for the ball stud. Get the complete kit from a vendor and adjust it according to the service manual. This keeps tension on the center link so there's no play in the steering. PS cars have the control valve in that place.

Thanks
I'll have to find that adjustment. Does the ball stud change direction when you turn the wheel back and forth? The sockets have cut outs in them which makes me thing they're supposed to.
When I first took it apart I thought the sockets were totally worn out.
Jim
That is the ball stud in the manual center link. It is an often overlooked part but it's a good idea to do what you're doing and check it. The end of the ball will wear or sometimes the springs break. The boots get ripped when a pickle fork is used to separate the pitman arm of the steering box for the ball stud. Get the complete kit from a vendor and adjust it according to the service manual. This keeps tension on the center link so there's no play in the steering. PS cars have the control valve in that place.

Thanks
I'll have to find that adjustment. Does the ball stud change direction when you turn the wheel back and forth? The sockets have cut outs in them which makes me thing they're supposed to.
When I first took it apart I thought the sockets were totally worn out.

It just keeps spring loaded tension on the ball stud. The stud will move under load.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom