Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Q. on Carbon Edition tranny ratios

froggy47

Corvette
Black 1996 LT4 Coupe/ 2004 Z06/Z16
My friend who fancies himself a Vette expert claims the ratio's are different in the Carbon tranny from the "regular" c6z. I said I don't think so.

Anyone weigh in?

:)

Z Trans

Z-06 ratios are same. ZR-1 has an option for close ratio trans - maybe that's where the question came in?
All the rear ends are 3:41, which I think is too tall but forced on the car because of gv't CAFE reg influence.

I wonder if a Vette owner could take their transaxle to a shop like Lingenfelter or such and have it re-geard to match the power curve better? Have you heard of anything like that, Hib?... (of course, that would cost a few $$$).

The ZR-1 does not share the same trans ratios as Z06es. It's got a taller first gear and all the other gears, except fourth, are different.

I think the TR6060 used in the Z06 has its ratios pretty optimized for it's torque curve and the required reliability, but I suppose, if you were a hardcore drag racer, you could swap in the special 6060 used in Grand Sport manuals, which has a 2.99 first and lower 2nd and 3rd gears.

Of course, then the problem would be getting the car to hook and that, if 0-60 was important, you'd give up time because you'd have to shift. The stock Z06 trans and axle ratios are selected such that the car can go 0-60 in first.

I'm sure there are other choices in ratios in 6060s that a service shop experienced in working on TREMEC six-speeds could install.

The 3.42 axle ratios that all C5/6/7 manuals have with the 2.66 first gear makes for a final drive of 9.097 which is pretty good for a street car. I have no trouble spinning the tires with my C5 and C6, so all a lower ratio would do is spin them more unless I go to better tires.

Again, if it's hardcore drag racing you want, then yeah, a shorter gear, like a 3.9 or 4.1 might be a better choice as long as you had enough tire under the car to use the torque.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom