Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Queenie (88 Prototype ZR1) Update.

Tyler Townsley

Corvette
55 , 66 coupe, 68 convert, 88 ZR1, 90 ZR1
Well I guess its time for an update on Queenie. After finding 2 bad DIS modules (the engineering samples that came with the motor) by using an OTC DIS tester and using an 89 wiring diagram furnished by George Richards with a 90 DIS and ECM using a copy of the 88 calibration I was able to get the car started and running.

It would run at 2500 and not idle but it was running. After letting it run a few times I noticed oil dripping off the joint at the resonator. I thought it was coming from the exhaust but have since discovered that it is oil leaking from the transmission as I do not have a driveshaft in it (duh).

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn /><o:p></o:p></P><P style=
There was a loud vacuum leak at the front of the plenum so I pulled it to check but found no leak. I changed the IAC and TPS thinking it might be the cause but still had the same problem. Finally pulled the throttle body and when I went to put it together I could not find all the bolts. I remembered I had only taken out 2 long bolts and the one in the center was missing. I got another bolt and when I went to put it in the others would not match. If I left it out all the others matched. This particular bolt goes into a boss in the plenum but it was open through and was allowing air into the plenum around the IAC. I plugged it with a setscrew. It now idles pretty well in open loop but when it goes closed loop it dies.

<o:p></o:p>

I had sent the 88 ECM to be fixed at a place called Full Logic that does ECM repairs but I am convinced it is probably not bad so I am having it sent back to me to try. Gordon K said he has a couple of good (he thinks) 88-89 DIS modules and would trade a good one for a bad one for display. I am sending him a bad one next week.

<o:p></o:p>

I plan on having the car at Carslile in August for display and moving under its own power. I hope to use the original ECM and a correct DIS. Its been a long road.

http://www.sirgalahad.org/tyler/prototype/APrototypesStory.doc

Tyler

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom