Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question about car waxes and soaps

Ross D

Corvette
1976 Red Stingray
Red 1976 Stingray Coupe with a brand new paint job. The guy who painted it said we need to find a GM brand Hand Glaze wax because if we use anything with Carnuba Oil any touch up paint will not stick. I'm having trouble finding this wax and i have heard it is fairly expensive. I was wondering if there is any truth to this type of wax, or what you recommended for best results for the new paint. Thanks

How new is the paint job? I am by no means a paint expert,but i was always told not to put wax on a new paint job for the first two months.

Carnuba waxes can be easiliy cleaned off of your car if needed.

If you just want to do a small touch up, you can clean the area with rubbing alcohol. Strips the wax off and won't hurt the paint.

If you want to strip the entire car, wash it with Dawn dishwashing liquid.

I agree with Sharkcar...I've always been told that a new paint job has to cure for at least two months. Can't hurt to wait anyway.

As far a choice of waxes, by far the best I've seen is Zaino. I've used it on my '07 Daytona since new and am very happy with both the results and the longevity. Show quality gloss. Don;t have to reapply every time I wash the car.

While Carnuba waxes can give you a very nice gloss, they don't last long. Warm temperatures can melt the wax leaving your paint unprotected. If you use Carnuba waxws you will need to reapply every time you wash your car.

Hop down to the parts department of your favorite Chevrolet dealer and see if those folks know about the GM glaze.

:)

I've used the GM glaze before and wasn't really happy with it. It's not a protectant wax, it's basically there to make the car look good on the showroom.
You can pretty much use any modern wax on a new paint job, just wait at least 3 months before using anything to allow the paint to properly cure.
I've always used Meguiars with good success and recently tried Menzerna (sp?) and that did a nice job as well. Zymol doesn't seem to last, I just put it on my new Mazda 6 and after a month, the water didn't bead as well and looks like it needs another wax job.
Touch up paint can be put on with no problem, just clean that area first with some alcohol or dish detergent and you'll be fine.

:w Ross Welcome to the Corvette Action Center ..

Everyone get a grip, we're moving... get this here thread down in the Car Care Center hang on...

Welcome aboard Ross enjoy the :Steer

Bud

Thanks for all the help. The paint job is about a year old, but has been sitting in a garage since. A good protective wax is what i am most interested in. ill try to get some pics up, but i am not very computer literate. Thanks again

zaino is not a wax. the glaze is not a wax its more in line with a polish...your car is certainly ready to have wax or zaino applied..its your choice. with either you will need a couple of steps to make it look good and get the best from your paint. read up on it and you will find out which way to go good luck

I would agree with midyear, there are some steps to take before you wax or polish. Is this a basecoat/clearcoat finish?

First give it a good wash with Dawn detergent. This will, as was said earlier, strip any grease/wax/impurities off the paint surface. Then claybar. You know about clay? Once you have clayed the surface you will be ready for polish/wax. I am a fan of Adams products, but there are others that are good, Zaino is one of those.

One of our members, Junkman2008, is a master. Here is a picture of his 01 with the original paint and 104K on the clock.
washpics0.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom