Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question about valve guides...

Bagoftrix

Corvette
1990 Bright red coupe
I've noticed on start up some blue smoke from the tailpipes on my 90'. Worried that I'm burning oil with only 46,000 miles on the engine, I asked another c4 owner what it could be. He said that in his case with his 89' c4 his L98 didn't come with valve guides and he had valve guides installed to fix the problem. Is it true that these engines didn't come with valve guides? Seems a little strange. I have always believed that all engines required valve guides. In any case, is it time for a valve job? I cant imagine with the low milage it needs a full rebuild due to bad piston rings.

With that few miles on the engine, it's doubtful your valve guides are bad. But the car is 27 years old, and seals have a way of getting hard with time. There are seals at the top of the valves to keep oil from getting thru the valve spring retainers, in addition to seals on the valve guides. These can be replaced without removing the heads, so it's not too difficult.

DSCN2699.JPG

Just spoke with a few mechanics. They tell me that the heads need to come off to do the guides. Is this true? If so, I'm just going to put better heads on. Decided that if I'm doing the seals might be a good idea to do the guides.

I don't know what kind of mechanic would tell you that you needed new valve guides on a 46,000 mile engine! Or am I misunderstanding what you said? I can't imagine that you need new valve guides! Replacing the seals is MUCH different than replacing the guides!!

They "recommended" I change the guides. I guess this is another way for them to cash in. Thank you for your help with this...

Big time!! Was this at your local "Stealership"? I'd sure put those guys on my "do not call" list!! These SBC engines will easily go 150,000 and still may not need new valve guides!

:mad

Actually, no. I've learned my lesson going through the dealership. This was 3 local shops, one of which told me it was going to be necessary to pull the engine and do a rebuild. HAHAHAHA...they're so dumb. The one "reputable" shop still wants 500.00 to do it. The blue smoke isn't bad, I just dont like my baby looking like an old worn out neglected car. I'm thinking of holding off and saving a little and buying better heads and intake. The vette goes out only on occasion, so not too worried...should I be?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom