Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question - D44 rear owners

Hrtbeat1

Corvette
'90 coupe (gone) '96 CE LT4 Z51
I just finished swapping my D36 rear assy to a D44 rear assy. Everything went very smoothly then I noticed something odd. On the under side of the differential, near the input pinion/yoke, are two springs, each mounted to a bracket on the side of the differential. What are these? I could only come up with maybe a exhaust hanger for the rear Y-pipe. My exhaust was modified by a previous owner so I've found a couple of these oddities, like the rubber exhaust hanger coming down from the C-beam, not needed with the current configuration.

Thanks

:w

My guess is that they are part of the previous owner's modifications; my '87 had nothing like that.

they are exhaust hangers, I know the older C4's had the rubber hanger and the later models had the metal springs.. so it's probably a factory thing since you have a 91, what year is the diff from?
-=Rick

Thats what I thought. Only thing I could come up with. Mine is a '90 but I think the diff is from '92 or '93. It's geared 3.45 so I should see quite an improvement in acceleration. I'm glad I went ahead and changed the wheel bearings ... the passenger side was getting bad ... the seal on the inside was dry-rotting.

Whats the best way to change the fluid. I have all new fluid and limited slip lube to put in. I guess I should have drained it when I had it out. :duh

Yep, there is not a drain plug.. the only way I know is to seperate the diff and cover, re-seal and then fill..
-=Rick

BlackNBlue95 said:
Yep, there is not a drain plug.. the only way I know is to seperate the diff and cover, re-seal and then fill..
-=Rick
There isnt? On my brothers 86 the plug was on the top and he had to use one of those little pumps to pump the fluid out, and the new in. You might want to check and double check before you pull the cover off. Hope this helps.

Justin

Go to the hardware store in your area and pick up a drill-driven pump for fluids. They do not cost much. It should come with a clear plastic tube. Stick the tube through the fill hole. Hook up your drill and you can pump the old fluid out. I have done it many times. I usually hang the drill with mechanic's wire and push the button to keep the drill on. Might take about 20 minutes. Then make sure you have the positraction additive from GM and put that in first. I run synthetic 75W90 differential oil in mine. Fill it till it just starts to come out of the fill hole. You're done!

That's almost exactly what I did, LT4MAN, only I used a suction gun. Been thinking about buying the drain plug kit, tho.

Vettefan87 said:
There isnt? On my brothers 86 the plug was on the top and he had to use one of those little pumps to pump the fluid out, and the new in. You might want to check and double check before you pull the cover off. Hope this helps.

Justin
Your right, I just ment there wasn't a drain plug. that is one method of getting the job done.. my only complaint is you might not beable to pump out the debris that might be laying at the bottom.. but I'm kinda particular on a many things.. but def. that is one way to do a fluid change on it.

-=Rick

The drain plug kit is pretty cool. I kinda like the idea of not having another place for fluid to leak, though. As far as filings on the bottom, I think any wear would be negligible. Unless you bought a used one that had a lot of miles and not a lot of documentation.
The important thing is to change the fluid. That is the life blood of any system.

What I did:

diffdrain_04.JPG

I use a MityVac to fill it, if I don't use an air pump. :CAC

You will love those gears,now your in the 13 sec club in the 1/4 mile with no mods.
You will hate the bounce the rear is strong.
Suck out the oil and use a squeez bottle to put in the new ,I would not pull the bolts on the bat wing.

Hrtbeat1 said:
Whats the best way to change the fluid. I have all new fluid and limited slip lube to put in. I guess I should have drained it when I had it out. :duh

YUP! I opened mine up and changed the fluid and did an inspection before I put mine in. No springs, from a "90". 3:33's, love it :D

I used a 60 cc syringe and a piece of suction tubing cut to a length I desired to change my fluid since the Red Line guy gave me the wrong stuff (without the additive) and it started to grind. FREE stuff to me, maybe a couple bucks to you at any medical supply store :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom