Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Question on LED brake lights

Sempercoasty

Corvette
2011 Grand Sport
Hello all, I'm a new forum member and looking for some help. I have a 2011 Grand Sport and several months ago installed LED side lights and LED brake lights, specifically the Eagle Eye's. Recently I had some issues (electrical) with my car, heard a clicking noise behind the radio and the trunk release above the license plate did not work. Also heard a click when I would release the brakes and used the right turn signal. Long story short and after two days at the dealership, I was told that the LED brake lights (Eagle Eyes) were the cause of my problem. I wasn't able to talk with the technician directly when I picked up my car, but this is what he wrote on my service receipt: Connector X455 has water in it with heavy corrosion shorting circuit 1576 and 19 together which are trunk release and right turn signal circuits. Circuit 1576 being shorted to battery damage pull down resistor in remote control door lock receiver.Replaced X455 and terminals in X455 and cleaned connector bodies. Replaced and programmed RCDLR.

Let me just say that the RCDLR is not a cheap replacement.

Anyway, my question is, based on the tech's notes, does that sound like something the LED lights would cause? These lights were a little expensive and cannot be returned, plus I really like them. Additionally, when I go to shows and events I have seen hundreds of Vette's with the exact same lights. And looking at other forums they seem to be a hot seller and no one posting issues with them. I would like to reinstall them, but don't want to cause the same damage again.
Thanks in advance for any help/comments.

I have the same LED tail/stop lamp conversion on my '12.

Typical of some dealership technicians, that tech indiscriminately blamed aftermarket parts.

While it is undesputable that a short betweeen the trunk release and tail/stop lamp circuit at X455 could cause failure of the RCDLR, that connector, X455, is not disturbed during an Eagle Eye LED taillamp conversion installation. The only connectors which are affected are the ones at the tail/stop lamp assemblies.

My guess is that X455 was not properly sealed when the car was assembled or for reasons other than an LED tail lamp conversion, was opened up and then, afterwards, not properly sealed. Clearly, X455 was subjected moisture and because it was improperly sealed, corrosion began.

If this was a case were you were denied a warranty claim with the LED conversion cited as the reason, I'd go back to the dealer and tell their people that connector was not disturbed and that the corrosion was a factory defect.

Last edited:
I have the same LED tail/stop lamp conversion on my '12.

Typical of some dealership technicians, that tech indiscriminately blamed aftermarket parts.

While it is undesputable that a short betweeen the trunk release and tail/stop lamp circuit at X455 could cause failure of the RCDLR, that connector, X455, is not disturbed during an Eagle Eye LED taillamp conversion installation. The only connectors which are affected are the ones at the tail/stop lamp assemblies.

My guess is that X455 was not properly sealed when the car was assembled or for reasons other than an LED tail lamp conversion, was opened up and then, afterwards, not properly sealed. Clearly, X455 was subjected moisture and because it was improperly sealed, corrosion began.

If this was a case were you were denied a warranty claim with the LED conversion cited as the reason, I'd go back to the dealer and tell their people that connector was not disturbed and that the corrosion was a factory defect.

AWESOME!!! Thank you very much for your response! I can tell already I'm glad I joined this forum!:happyanim:
I can tear apart and rebuild an engine but when it comes to electricity and electronic stuff I'm absolutely clueless and won't touch it. I don't have a wiring diagram and have no idea where this X455 or other numbers he mentioned are located, but I'll assume they are not protected inside the vehicle.
Luckily for me, they claimed the repair under factory warranty, but warned me that if I didn't remove the lights then it will not be covered under warranty "the next time they cause a problem". I think there might have been a disconnect between the actual technician and the service advisor that checked me out upon picking up the Vette. I'll be re-installing the lights tonight! Thank you again!!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom