Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Questions about solenoid doors?

StillDreaming

Corvette
Living a dream...
I have questions about the solenoid doors:

First how do you shut them? Are they like the Cady trunk (C6 hatch) or can you close them like normal?
Second, are they reliable? Because if I get lucky one day I will be purchasing a 2006 C6 in 2008 or 2010 used of course.
Are they safe, do they stay shut all of the time? Can they pop open on their own?
It looks like to me the buttons on the interior are placed in places where they can get bumped. What do you think?

Don't get me wrong, I love the C6, this is just basically my only concern about the car so far.

Any information about these type of door openers would be greatly appreciated. I have seen these on hot rods, but not a daily driver.

HI there,
The entire door latch system is controlled by the drivers door module, passenger door module, body control module and the remote control door lock receiver.
You shut the doors like a normal door. When the door control module first sees the door open, it will index the door window down 5mm to avoid pressure and seal problems.
Then, when you close the door normally, it will index the window up to seal.
Yes they are safe, and do not pop open on their own.
As clumsy as I am, I never have had one pop open.
Also, when the vehicle is in motion, any switch inputs are ignored until the car comes to a complete stop.
Allthebest, c4c5 :eek

VW has used solenoid latches for years in some models. I.e. the VW Golf station wagon has such a solenoid latch for the rear hatch.

So has the Corvette, starting in 1984.

Alex D said:
VW has used solenoid latches for years in some models. I.e. the VW Golf station wagon has such a solenoid latch for the rear hatch.

What about if battery power dies...how do you get out?

I understand getting in is easy, a keypad in the rear opens the trunk, which contains manual cables for door opening. But if in an accident...how do you get out?

The new door locks are very cool and the LED indicator light located at the bottom of the glass is cool it blinks when you set the alarm. The system is just like the XLR check it out people. Have a nice day and a future full of many Vette's

Wow sounds like they are getting really high tech with the C6

The battery going dead is an issue with other cars whose windows "lock" into the weather stripping. I have heard of windows that break when a door (that has its window in the full up position) is opened without battery power to slightly lower the window. Dealers of this make of car ( i won't mention it's name) actually store the car with windows slightly lowered in the event that power is lost.

I hope the C6 windows are not as "tight" to be an issue in opening a door with it's window in the full up position.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom