Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

racing tires advice needed

V

VinceBanger

Hi all.
Question - I've decided to have some fun and take my car to a local track (they offer Pay Per Lap). All my buddys keep telling me that i need racing tires. Problem is I have no idea what tires to use. Any suggestions?

thanks

V

VinceBanger

new tires coming?

ok... a buddy just told me that at sema last year BFG was talking about bringing the R1 back. Anyone confirm that? i can't find any info on it yet. I think i'll wait a bit before i buy.

Mr.Cool

Corvette
2005 Magnetic Red Coupe / 82 Silver Green
I use my street BFG G force KDW's on the Road Course events I attend. They work just fine and are alot cheaper than the Goodyear F1 eagles that came on my car. Since the nearest track to me is a 300 mile one way drive and I have no desire to start trailering my car if I had R compounds on, these street tires work just fine.

Corvette
1996 LT4 Collector Edition
Hi. I've been doing track days with my '96 for three years. I'm still running street tires, and having a great time! Until your skill levels come way up, you really don't need R compound tires.

It's my opinion that you will learn better driving skills on street tires than on R compounds. The race tires let you get away with bad driving habits.

Barry
NASA HPDE Instructor
Southern California Region

Hib Halverson

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
Corvette
71 04 12 19
Hi all.
Question - I've decided to have some fun and take my car to a local track (they offer Pay Per Lap). All my buddys keep telling me that i need racing tires. Problem is I have no idea what tires to use. Any suggestions?

thanks

It's pretty tough to make a useful tire recomendation until you tell us what kind of car you're taking to the track.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Win Both Corvettes!

Win Both Corvettes and Get Extra Bonus Tickets Now!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Dead Center Foundation

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Partners

Top Bottom