Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Radio/Clock question

Corvette
1981 Dark Blue Metallic, 2003 AE coupe
Doing some C3 newbie research. I have an '81 with what appears to be a Delco am/fm/cassette with digital clock. Was this the UM6 radio option? I thought that I had read somewhere that the upgraded radios with tape players had clocks and the stock clock was replaced with an oil temp gauge in the cluster. There is no clock currently in the cluster. I'm trying to determine how much is original in this car. I can tell you the speakers sure sound 24 years old! The radio is cocked slightly in the console and so I had my doubts about it always being there. One last question. If it is original equipment, how do you adjust the digital clock to the correct time? It seems to keep time, but its two hours fast right now. I'm already on EST, so suggestions to move east into a new time zone would put me in the middle of the Atlantic, thank you.

Mike

:w Mike,

You are correct the UM6 option is AM-FM Radio,etr stereo with cassette, and with this option your car did not come with an in dash Clock, it came with an oil temp gauge.

I looked in my owners manaul for setting the clock, and it refers to the detail book for the radio... which I don't have, my was a UL5 option (Radio Delete) Hopefully one of our other L81er's can help you out with getting the clock set.

Bud

Thanks Bud. I verified the radio this evening. The one installed looks just like the one in the owner's manual. I too saw the reference to the elusive additional manual. I have quite a bit of documentation, but not that one. Anyone out there still have the radio manual for the ETR am/fm cassette player? Everything on this unit works, but the time is set a few hours ahead.

Thanks, Mike :W

:w Mike,

I copied this thread into the L81VetteRegistry Forums too. Hopefully someone comes along that can help.

Bud

My shop manual which I purchased shortly after buying my 81 in 1981 shows an radio option: Titled - "AM-FM/FM Stero ETR with Cassette Tape", Manual pictures a radio with digital clock, good news looks like what you have may be an original optional Vette radio; bad news is that my Shop Manual doesn't give any info on optional radios.

Mr. "C",

This thread is also running in the L81 Registry forum and Mikejpss had mentioned that he has never seen an '81 without the factory radio cocked slightly. What's your take on that? I certainly haven't seen enough vettes up close over the years to have an opinion.

Mike :pat

My 81's clock position seems fine to me; can you give further definition to what you mean by "chocked". I have never had the clock out, so it mounting is same as day one.

My particular clock is tilted slightly left. The upper right corner of the silver trim is slightly hidden behind the bezel. It looked to me as if the unit had been removed at some point in the past, and since I had just gotten the car, I was curious as to whether it was the original radio. That's when it was pointed out that it seemed like several '81's had this characteristicly "cocked" radio.

You threw me off with the "clock" thing. I stand corrected. My radio (which has the digital clock) is the unit that is cocked slightly left. I do not have a factory clock in the guage bezel. It is replaced with an oil temp guage when the am/fm etr radio w/ cassette is ordered as an option. Sorry for the confusion.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom