Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rain Man ...

65-to-00

:duh Too much information! Jeopardy, 7:30! Tuesday, macaroni and cheese!

I have to face it, I'm getting old. The elevator is missing a few floors as of late.

I've had the Vett now for about two months and have been following all of the posts on the "common problems" associated with the C-5 and tried to store em' in my (failing) memory banks so I could respond in some rational manner if something did happen.

During the heat wave a few weeks ago "baby" wouldn't start. Totally stone dead! So I took out my new cute little porta-battery that I just charged and hooked it up .... nothing, nada ... dead as a doorknocker!

Ran the "checklist" through:

#1. Something left on in the interior ...... nope!

#2. Battery? Red Top, but it looks pretty new.

#3 Heat shield (foam) that the dealers usually trash ... Ah Ha! No shield and it's been really hot (mid 90's).

#4 Check date on Red Top, looks new but may be old, but they never punched out the date "chads" so, I contemplate the number codes for a few hours .... an X23YBB02 .... hmmmmm maybe it's an "02" battery, but I'll call a dealer.

#5 Where the hell is that hygrometer to check the state of the acid ... search the basement, shed and garage (two hours), can't find it!

Friend pulls in the driveway in his battered Jeep. He takes a quick look at the Vette and asks ... "Did ya' run the basics?" Me .... "Been on the net and went over all of the common problems associated with a C-5 not starting!"

Him ..... "Well, you forgot to turn your new (porta-battery) switch to the ON position and the red lead is not visibly loose but shake it, it's loose". I wasn't wearing my reading glasses.

It was pay back time. Last year he forgot to gas up on a "ferry trip" to get an aging 4X4 to abandon as a hunting cabin work hack (no fuel gauge), while he worked for an hour on a "faulty" electric fuel pump lead while our convoy waited alont an Interstate shoulder (two hours). When I smelled the exhaust (no gas) ..... he ate crow for weeks over that one, they guys from the hunting group even gave him a gas can for Christmas!

My turn "in the barrel" ..... I'm sure some of you will recognize the Canadian joke .... It's not gonna be an easy year.

The computer is a wonderful tool. A world of great information from great guys who share the knowledge, the arcane and exotic "tips".

But in the hands of a "newbie" .... too much information!

I forgot the basics ... :eyerole ....

Kinda' like shooting a perfect approach to a landing in a wicked cross wind only to hear the crunch of the prop cause you forgot to put the gear down.

65-to-00 said:
My turn "in the barrel" ..... I'm sure some of you will recognize the Canadian joke .... It's not gonna be an easy year.
Everybody has their turn... ;LOL

-Mac

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom