Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Raising Rear Ride Height

Owen -- this post is really for a freind. It is a brand new rear spring. I think the problem may be that the front is a little high. This is why we are trying to find an easy way to raise the back. I realize we could probably have the spring re-arc'd

I used air shocks for years, but they only increase the load carrying capacity.

To raise the rear (I like my car to be tail high) 10-12 years ago, I installed shorter grade8 bolts with stainless nylok nuts that allow me to set the ride height and balance the height left to right.

If your rear spring is flat or arched down, it is OK.

If it is arched up at the ends, it needs to be replaced

John - I also hve grade 8 bolts that I can adjust the rear height up or down by the nyloc nut. Give it a try.

Steve

John you can get them at ZIP or one of the other corvette suppliers but they want 40 bucks for em or you can call VanSteel and they have the same bolts (8" or 10" most Midyear guys will only need the 8" though),cushions,nyloc nuts and washers for 23.99.... Dave..

John - not to familiar with your area, check with local machine shops. When I need them fast I usually get them from L. C. Machine shop in Berlin. Don't know their phone number off hand. I am sure they are in the book (Camden County).

Steve

I'm not sure I understand this thread. Why would longer bolts give you a higher rear ride height? If stock bolts had more thread, you could adjust with the castle nut. Or... you could use a jam nut - all of this because the hole would not be available for the pin.

Do the bolts mentioned above have thread higher up than the stock bolts? Usually people looking for longer bolts are looking to lower their rear ride height.

Brian

Wow -- you folks are not going to believe this one. My freind with the spring problem was over Contes Corvettes this morning. There were three leaf springs on the garage floor. He asked what was going on and the mechanic (George) told him they were all bad and were being shipped back to the parts houses. It turns out that the latest batch of springs (overseas mfg) have evidently been made wrong. The springs get installed, they look fine, and then the next morning they are all drooping just like my freinds. Needless to say, he called the parts house and the spring is going back. Amazing and Sad.

Brian - since I didn't know what length both John's friend was using, I suggested a machine shop as a source because he could get most any lenght he wanted. I agree with you that the longer bolts would help to lower the car and not raise it. Right now the bolts on my 66, with after market fiberglass spring are too long (too much thread beyond the nut), so I will be swapping out for shorter ones.

Steve

I recommended the longer bolts because unlike the originals they are threaded further up the bolt... Dave..

JL66REDCPE said:
Wow -- you folks are not going to believe this one. My freind with the spring problem was over Contes Corvettes this morning. There were three leaf springs on the garage floor. He asked what was going on and the mechanic (George) told him they were all bad and were being shipped back to the parts houses. It turns out that the latest batch of springs (overseas mfg) have evidently been made wrong. The springs get installed, they look fine, and then the next morning they are all drooping just like my freinds. Needless to say, he called the parts house and the spring is going back. Amazing and Sad.

They need to try new sources - Eaton-Detroit Spring (www.eatonsprings.com) makes excellent 9-leaf repro springs, and John R. Spring Service (www.johnrsprings.com) makes excellent HD 7-leaf repro springs; both will provide proper ride height.
:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom