Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Ram air for an '84 - can it be done?

M

MyC4Project

I'm looking to get some more hp out of my L83 engine. I've seen people rave about ram air. problem is, I can't find any ram air kits for an 84, and I'm not experienced enough to do it myself. So howsa bout a few suggestions on how I can make this work, or if it's even possible...

When it comes to modifications and gearheads, anything's possible. Hang in there and someone will have an answer for you. ;)

Exhaust , intake and cam

Ram air will be a lot of work and delivers little real gain. Look elsewhere.

I put all the above on my '84; then finally went to a 406, port injected, which I love but is a project I would not recommend. I'd also not change the rear ratios past 3.36, if I had it to do over.

You can bolt on headers and a good cat-back exhaust, for seat of the pants improvement. The rest gets rather involved.

I have enlarged throttle bodies available, if you're interested.

The '84 is limited, as I have learned, and was told, but still a lot of fun!

Mine was quite cherry, so i opted to work on it for 2 years, doing the engine/computer/harness/fuel pump/etc. swap after I spun a bearing at 105k.

Only exhaust is a waste of money. You won't gain anything by just going to headers & true duals. You must adress the intake, heads & cam too.

Ram air for 84 is cheap, drill a large hole in the radiator shroud and seal it up against the hood (w/ weatherstripping or something similar) the hole is already there in the hoof, not in the shroud.

Make sure the rubbers in the hood seal up properly against the intake.

Some have made inner supports from thick steel wire.

Marck

Already eyeing the x-ram!! I've been told if I'm going to do that, while I'm at it I should replace the cam (Crane 2040) and lifters...
then there's the MSD, new headers, blah, blah, blah...

so my daughter doesn't go to Harvard...

Seriously, I bought my 84 dirt cheap (3K!) w/ 70K miles and it's in decent condition-interior isn't that bad, but the paint suffers from sunfade. Ahhhh that good ol' GM paint!

Mechanically it has a few bugs, but I have a lot of eager gearhead friends dying to make this baby over.

I'm not real familiar with ram air and just thought I'd ask and see what kind of response/info I got.

hmm

if u have 800 bucks u can put mini ram in

goes in your manifold
thats the first thing im putting in my 85 after that im putting in supercharger. 800 bucks is pretty godo cause mini ram gives u 80 horses right off the back
my question is,, don't the new corvettes have wider runners, is one of the defects to L98 engine is to small of runners?
also u only want ot put headers when your engine is 350 hp and up

anyways, im currently making my own RAM air

My dad owns a machine shop
so i can make anything i want.

im working on making the gril right now for the front of my car im going to make it 100 percent look like the one in the maginze

does the 84's front end look like the 85's???

84 coupe

We got ours for 6k with very low miles, perfect interior and decent paint (lotsa nicks on the hood and some orange peeling here and there). We feel like we got a real steal. A lot of fun to work on and more importantly, drive around. Most people (normal type) can't tell the difference between an 84 to a 94 so enjoy...you got a great deal!
--Drew:w

yeah, but

84's have alot of problems
and there are a few things that 84's have on them that the l98's don't have

cause in 85 they found better ways to do stuff

but like drewser says

most peopel don't know how to tell the differance,, so in that way,, its a sweet deal

There's mister my car is better than yours again. :(

Here's the run down man,

Your engine is THE SAME as the L83 except for the TPI (& cam).
This means, 462624 crap 76cc thin casting lightweight smog heads, 1,94x1,5 valves
L82 flat top pistons if you're lucky (L83 has those) but more likely you have the hypereutectics (bummer!).
2Pc rear seal block
1st generation 700 R4 w/ small pump.

You still have the crappy system w/ the 9th cold start injector. Your ECM is just a souped up TBI one w/ batch fire controls & just drivers to fire lo impedance injectors. Nothing like the later Weatherpack ECM's.

So where's yours so much holier than the 84? I don't want to diss anyone's car but you should know what you're talking about before you thrash someone else's ride.

You may know the difference but you certainly do NOT know the similarities.

Do you ever have something positive to contribute?

Marck

yeah ok

in the 84,, things are located in differant spots

84 is the only car designed like it is

it has a few sensors that 85 and up don't have

and just some others tuff like that,

Do you mean engine sensors?

84 has MAP, (speed density system), 85 has MAF (mass airflow system) & a MAT (manifold air temp)

For the rest, both have TPS, O2, CTS, VSS.

Marck

I gotta pipe up on this one

Shadow, again you attempt to put your foot squarely in your pie-hole.
The people who have problems with the 84s will probably have problems with the 85s, 95s, 2005s, ect. There is nothing wrong with the engine--that isn't wrong with the l98s also. They can ALL be improved.
By your logic there is something wrong with every engine that GM stopped making. 427, L48, L82, L83, L98, LT1, LT4, LT5...all must have something wrong with them cause GM went to something else. I guess the only good engines are the LS1 and LS6. Get a clue, dude. Just look at Marcks' engine and tell me you could beat that. Better yet, since your Dad has a machine shop, and you can make anything--go make a better engine and show us all what asses we are.

hehe,, shut up, jeeze

u try so hard drew

i didn't say the engine sucks i said they don't make them anymore for reaons like performance reasons

why buy a 84 when u can buy a 93 for the same price

Jeez,,,leik,,,shuttup,,,hehe

I just read a post from you entitled, "crossfires suck". Either you are a liar, retarded or both. Believe me, I don't have to try very hard to slam you...you just make it so easy. Too easy. Dude, show me where you can buy a 93 for the same price as an 84 and I'll show you where monkeys fly out of my butt! YO--leik--hookme,,,up!hehehohohaha,,,

Missouri,,, central united states

corvettes a a dime a dozon here

no one buy's corvettes here do to weather and just stuff like that i guess.

oh yeah, i still think cross fires suck its old technology

u would probalby do better with a carbirator.. or how ever u spell it,

couldn't help notice u stuck out in one of these post drew, about me being able to make anythin in my machine shop

sounds like jealously

and some of your post u say u take your car to a place or shop to get it fix, a chevy dealership
u know most mechanics in chevy dealerships don't know jack about corvettes

do u even know how to hold a wrench drew

Drewser,

The LS1 isn't rock solid either. It's a real nice engine but GM has problems w/ oil consumption. I think GM is trying to keep the lid on that issue :)

Also, the LT-5 had problems w/ too small oil passages in the beginning.

Every new engine has difficulties, (and since 85 is the 1st TPI.....)

but I'll stop on that subject now because Ken asked.

Marck

WHEW!
4 a second I thought I had accidentally gone to CorvetteForum! :eek
:w

Twinnie...BTW, I'm having some probs with the CFI Forum. I guess the IE6 fix doesnt really work the way it says it should.
I got in a couple of months ago...then went back today and it keeps sending me back to the sign in screen even after It says I successfully signed in! It did the same thing to me last time and I did something but I'll be darned if I can remember what!
Any ideas?
Thanks!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom