Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

re clutch or transmission 2nd pops out

Wayne64

Corvette
1964 black/chery/conv.
Sometimes when i down shift from third to second. The second gear pops out into neutral.
Would this be a clutch adjustment problem ?
Any help would be appreciated.

Sometimes when i down shift from third to second. The second gear pops out into neutral.
Would this be a clutch adjustment problem ?
Any help would be appreciated.
This could be a shifter adjustment problem or a 2nd gear synchronizer problem!! My $$ would be on the latter!! It's not to Horrible of a job to replace the synchronizers the worst part would pulling the Tranny!!:upthumbs

Yup. It's usually the syncros. I've never had to replace any parts other than the brass blocker rings though. That's why they are brass, so they will take the abuse and not damage the more expensive parts. I need to do this on the '59 before I start driving it again.

Of course you should check the linkage adjustment before you pull the tranny. Easiest things first and all that rot.

Tom

If your trans is popping out of 2nd after a 3-2 backshift, it can be one of several problems.

It can be a problem with the dog clutch assembly for 2nd gear. It can be a bent shift fork. It could be a shifter adjustment problem.

It is unlikely that the clutch is causing a problem because you're experiencing the problem in only one gear rather than all gears.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom