Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Re-oiling K&N

Corvette
Blk/Blk '96 LT4 Coupe
How often (many miles) are you guys re-oiling your K&N? I've got about 10k on mine, is it time?

Yeah I would say so, but it all depends on how it looks. Does it look dirty? The last time I cleaned and reoiled mine it had about 5k miles on it, and I noticed a little bit better throttle response. Just so sparingly on the oil when you put it back on. No need for gobs of it.

I'm kinda wondering if it needs to be re-oiled between cleanings or if it is only necessary to re-oil when cleaning. According to K&N"s site, you need to clean every 30k or so. So that would mean (to me anyway) that it needs to be re-oiled every 30k after cleaning w/ no re-oiling needed before then. I bought the "re-charge kit" but do not want to clean the K&N (just re-oil) if I don't have to yet.

JEFNLSA said:
I'm kinda wondering if it needs to be re-oiled between cleanings or if it is only necessary to re-oil when cleaning. According to K&N"s site, you need to clean every 30k or so. So that would mean (to me anyway) that it needs to be re-oiled every 30k after cleaning w/ no re-oiling needed before then. I bought the "re-charge kit" but do not want to clean the K&N (just re-oil) if I don't have to yet.

Let it go for 50K at least... just bang out all the larger debris... bugs and stuff. Otherwise you risk sucking in the oil and screwing your sensors and PCV sys. When/if you decide to clean and re-oil... use as little oil as humanly possible... or just switch back to paper.

Some even recommend letting it dry overnight. I usually do that because I have another car to drive but not everyone can do that because the 'Vette is their only car.

I usually clean and re-oil mine between 20 and 25K miles. I don't re-oil them in between cleanings.

When I do re-oil them, I let them drain into a cookie sheet for several hours before re-installing them, just to let any excess oil drain out of the gauze. Wipe the excess off also.

So, unless your filter is really dirty, it probably doesn't need cleaning or re-oiling. In the world of oil inpregnated air filters, any excess oil it too much.

Tuna said:
I usually clean and re-oil mine between 20 and 25K miles. I don't re-oil them in between cleanings.

When I do re-oil them, I let them drain into a cookie sheet for several hours before re-installing them, just to let any excess oil drain out of the gauze. Wipe the excess off also.

So, unless your filter is really dirty, it probably doesn't need cleaning or re-oiling. In the world of oil inpregnated air filters, any excess oil it too much.

That explains it...THX. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom