Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rear control arm problem?

L48

On my 75 where the rear control arm comes out of the frame, it appears to be much closer to the inside of the frame rail than the outside of the frame rail. The outer end of the halfshafts actually appear to be tilted slightly toward the front of the car as well.

I am wondering if the control arms are bent.

There are no obvious hammer marks but the car came with really wide rear rims and I wonder if there was a clearance problem that someone "fixed" by bending the control arms.

The halfshafts are hitting the axle stubs and I think the geometry is messed up because of bent control arms. Maybe the bushings are bad? Since I only have one Vette I can't really check to see if how the control arm comes out of the frame. If someone knows or has a pic of what this should look like I sure would appreciate it. Thanks.

CorvetteControlArms.jpg

I hope a picture is worth a thousand words...
http://members.aol.com/mosmint/CorvetteControlArms.jpg

Looks about normal in your photo.........

You can't really judge much with the wheels removed and the suspension just 'hanging'- everything is at weird angles in that condition.

If you're really concerned, have a good 4 wheel alignment done

It does look like your bushings are degenerating. There is a definite bottom-out tilt in the control arm that looks like originates at the bushing(wide gap at the bottom,narrow at the top). That should be your first replacement item before you spend alignment dollars. Check to see if you have any top to bottom play in the wheel and control arm with the weight off it. The whole control arm will pivot at the bushings if they are bad.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom